Model Cars Magazine Forum

Making oil filters?

I have made them from a piece of sprue , sand the flash off so it's round, cut it square, sand the bottom to a convex shape. Then you could either glue a piece is sheet stock and sand it to just a little larger than the filter, or cement a thin rod around the top edge to make the lip.

32 minutes ago, Psychographic said:

I have made them from a piece of sprue , sand the flash off so it's round, cut it square, sand the bottom to a convex shape. Then you could either glue a piece is sheet stock and sand it to just a little larger than the filter, or cement a thin rod around the top edge to make the lip.

Thank you David...

I use sprue, but via the additional step of chucking it into my motor tool to 'lathe-turn' it into a perfect circle - see my post here, where you can scroll down for the two additional pics I have there of other stuff which can be made with that method. The filter for my Y-block build was done that way, it's shown temporarily out on the wire peg in this photo.

Another method, if you lack both styrene sprue or rod stock large enough, and lack a lathe, would be to get the appropriate size styrene tubing in Evergreen, cut to length, and either fill with gap-filling CA glue and an accelerator, or blank off the exposed end with say,  a strip of .040" evergreen flat strip styrene, then once the glue as set, file and sand to shape--I've used both techniques for shapes and detail parts such as this, decades ago, before I acquired my Sherline late and vertical mill, so I know the concept works.

Art

18 hours ago, Russell C said:

I use sprue, but via the additional step of chucking it into my motor tool to 'lathe-turn' it into a perfect circle - see my post here, where you can scroll down for the two additional pics I have there of other stuff which can be made with that method. The filter for my Y-block build was done that way, it's shown temporarily out on the wire peg in this photo.

3 hours ago, Art Anderson said:

Another method, if you lack both styrene sprue or rod stock large enough, and lack a lathe, would be to get the appropriate size styrene tubing in Evergreen, cut to length, and either fill with gap-filling CA glue and an accelerator, or blank off the exposed end with say,  a strip of .040" evergreen flat strip styrene, then once the glue as set, file and sand to shape--I've used both techniques for shapes and detail parts such as this, decades ago, before I acquired my Sherline late and vertical mill, so I know the concept works.

Art

Thanks guys for the tips...