Model Cars Magazine Forum

Shelby Cobra

ewetwo

Current project. I'll have to go with the mag wheels. But I ran into a snag. The metal axels only stick out about an eight of an inch from the body. Not enough to keep the wheels on. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :-)

cobra1.jpeg

cobra2.jpeg

cobra3.jpeg

The plastic rod that afx is referring to, is sold in any well stocked hobby shop. Available in different diameters from brands like Evergreen.
Do you have any hobby shops nearby? Also found assortments on Ebay. 

MODEL STUFF- EVERGREEN PLASTICS ASS'T [01].JPG

MODEL STUFF- EVERGREEN PLASTICS DISPLAY [01].gif

Edited by Jon Cole

44 minutes ago, afx said:

I like to use plastic rod for axles on my Cobra builds.  You could also cut longer wire axles from a coat hanger, should be about the same gauge.

DSCN2971

I never thought of that. It should work. The only axels were the metals one. There was one plastic piece that was in the kit that looked like it would work. I think it was to hold the hood up. But coat hangers. Thank you.

Edited by ewetwo

7 minutes ago, Jon Cole said:

The plastic rod that afx is referring to, is sold in any well stocked hobby shop. Available in different diameters from brands like Evergreen.
Do you have any hobby shops nearby?

Unfortunately my closest shop is over 50 miles away. And it's Hobby Lobby. I don't know if they carry them.

53 minutes ago, Lizard Racing said:

The local HL does not stock Evergreen.  Maybe others do.  Evergreen is available on Amazon.

OK. Thanks.  I was going to make plastic axels for another kit. Odd thing is. The hole you would stick the axel into the wheel is larger than where the axel goes trough the chassis. I guess I can just drill it out and make them larger. 

If it helps, you can always sleeve a thinner rod of plastic or metal in the next size up diameter hollow plastic tube. I like to keep a wide variety of rods and tubes on hand. So versatile. 

My local Hobby Lobby carries the K-S rods and tubing as well. Take a piece of suitable diameter with you for comparison to make sure that you get the right sizes but it is cheap enough to buy a variety of sizes as  John says...so versatile and handy to have around. 

On 4/6/2018 at 9:28 AM, ewetwo said:

Current project. I'll have to go with the mag wheels. But I ran into a snag. The metal axels only stick out about an eight of an inch from the body. Not enough to keep the wheels on. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :-)

cobra1.jpeg

cobra2.jpeg

cobra3.jpeg

K&S 1/16" brass rod works very well, as the original "steel" wire axles that AMT included are also 1/16" diameter.

Art