Model Cars Magazine Forum

Up to my ears in ship ! ( model ship ) Finished !

Finally got to start one of the wooden ship models I have . This will be the first wooden kit I have built or tried to build . The instructions are not very good . Just all drawings and no description at all . May not have been the best kit to start with but I will give it a try . Have to find some color pics so I know what gets painted or stained or maybe just cleared ? 

18F35083-4C60-4DD2-B541-119411263784.jpeg

50EBA2F2-709B-422E-B924-7A576280A049.jpeg

Edited by cobraman

Been working on this ship a little . Did some sub assemblies . The cannons are made up of 8 pieces each . The photo of the ship with sails is the only reference as to how they should look. No plans as to how they should be cut . Sail material is just a piece of plain cloth . This should be fun . 

2C7D6B66-710D-45BF-9600-C2E7CE49F45B.jpeg

96AA5C3B-C012-43FB-80A2-CFEF9820955B.jpeg

This is all I could find on anything similar so far. Sorry for the long URL, but that's the way Walmart created it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Asewin-Hobby-Wooden-Ship-Models-Boat-Ships-Kits-Sail-Boat-Wooden-Model-Kit-Toy-White-Apricot/804849646?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=7215&adid=22222222227138444423&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=247874718609&wl4=pla-408281065641&wl5=9007722&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=115056135&wl11=online&wl12=804849646&wl13=&veh=sem

There are some pictures of it assembled; not very large, but pictures.

Just so you know, that ship isn't a ship. It's a schooner. There are many different types of sailing vessels, but the only one called a ship has three masts and is square rigged. Narrowing the Google searches to schooners may help.

Looking good Ray, she looks like great one for a first endeavor and can be built up to look excellent on the shelf!  Great choice.

A boat with this type of rigging is called a schooner-brigg, also a brigantine.  The foremast is for square rigged sails while the main mast is for schooner sails, the triangular types.

This was a great handling boat, needed a few more hands on board to handle the square sails, but a lot less than a brig, which had both masts set up for square sails on yardarms.

This was a popular type vessel around 1770's and further on throughout the 19th, and a very successful design, and very common along the Chesapeake Bay....read Baltimore Clipper, the original clipper ships, later to become the big 3 masted fully rigged tea clippers.

These boats didn't hold a lot of cargo as the hulls were sleek and built for speed and handling, they look really radical with hull sitting deep in the water and a huge amount of cloth in the wind....magnificent.

Also,  these boats greatly enabled the Revolution to become a success.

Thank or the info Michael. I am pretty sure I will not be able to get the sails they way they should be on this my first wooden kit. Thinking if I could somehow do the sails in the rolled up position.

Jim, yes this kit was only 15 bucks and sold on the Walmart website. At only 15 dollars I figured it could be a first attempt trial kit. Said to be a 45 dollar kit. I don't see it being worth 45 but I don't know. Does anyone have a solution to keep the sail material from fraying once it is cut into shape ?

Free  shipping if I remember right. Get one and get going on it and maybe you can teach me how to do the stuff ahead ! :D  The masts, rigging and sails are going to be a big problem I believe. Oh, and the planking as well. Looks like I will need to buy a planking tool. The instructions are about the worst I have ever seen in my over 50 years of building models although never a wooden one before.

9 hours ago, cobraman said:

Thank or the info Michael. I am pretty sure I will not be able to get the sails they way they should be on this my first wooden kit. Thinking if I could somehow do the sails in the rolled up position.

Jim, yes this kit was only 15 bucks and sold on the Walmart website. At only 15 dollars I figured it could be a first attempt trial kit. Said to be a 45 dollar kit. I don't see it being worth 45 but I don't know. Does anyone have a solution to keep the sail material from fraying once it is cut into shape ?

Ray if y8u look at the edges of the sails of the picture I posted . Along the edges the material is folded over. If you do that and glue the overlap the edges shouldn't fray.