Model Cars Magazine Forum

Up to my ears in ship ! ( model ship ) Finished !

Progress ?  Did a little more work on this thing . Got some of the sails cut and mounted . Not very well I will admit . Doing the best I know how to do and hopefully learning somethings to make the next one better . As I said before the instructions are bad but I won’t lay my bad work totally on that . Planking is pretty soon but I don’t have a bender yet . I may try the soaking in hot water for a few minutes to see how that works so I can keep building . So far not a bad hobby although my results may ( will ) not be too good but that’s ok . 

74AC05CA-30DE-4A5F-831F-A01D465E1913.jpeg

DF1FD608-1E7B-4042-8EDD-A27B375FC644.jpeg

EEACCEA2-4953-4F7F-B643-CF0B91DBE692.jpeg

Thanks Carl. Yes, I am enjoying it but there is so much I just don't know. I find it pretty challenging but that's ok. I bought a book that is of some help but I have received much better ideas and help from some of the members here. If I can finish this it will be a lot because of their help. The guys here are the best and very willing to share their knowledge.

It looks like fun Ray. I have a ship similar to yours in progress now.  Model ships can have  a lot of rigging if you want to have it fully rigged. There are different levels of rigging that can be used. For a first model you may want to have only the standing rigging. The standing rigging is only the rigging that holds the ship together. The running rigging is all the ropes to hold and set the sails. I don't see any dowels for your masts and yards. You should have some dowels that you will need to taper to match the plan.

Edited by Rusty Irons
spelling

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

Yours is looking good ! Very much like the one I am working on. Hopefully mine will look half as good as yours.

Thanks!  This is my first plank on frame ship hull that I have built. I have built 2 ships that used a carved hull before this.

I just used a bunch of clamps to hold the planks in place with only a minimum of pre bending of the planking. The wood bends easy enough but it does help to have a few clamps and plenty of rubber bands. For the price these kits are great for practice before starting on a $150.00 plus kit that has all the best woods and metal parts. 

19 hours ago, cobraman said:

That looks great !  I am plugging away on doing the planking on mine. Not going great but there is a learning curve and I will push through .

Thanks!   For me, the most difficult part is the rigging. With smaller models it is a challenge to fit in all the standing rigging and all the running rigging to hold the sails.  To get the best look for sails they should be sewn together. In fact, I am delaying the rest of my sails until I buy a small sewing machine. I hand sewed 6 so far. I have never sewn anything before this.  The sails have been slow going for me so far. 

What kind of glue are you using on your hull? 

I used bottled hide glue in case I needed to fix anything. It dries slowly but it is clear and reversible.

P1010004.JPG

Edited by Rusty Irons

Thanks Bob. I am finding it to be a challenge. I may post some pics of where I am tomorrow. The instructions do not address some of the parts I have and some parts it looks like I could use are not included. There is nothing to describe how to mount the sails or how or where to put rigging. I looked at photos of other boats/ships (?) to see if I can get an idea . I will probably have to Mickey Mouse that a bit and it doesn't look like they supplied me with enough rigging material which looks like its just sewing thread. I think for my first effort it will be OK but just OK. Guys that know their stuff will find several of my errors and that's alright. I will just try and take what I learned on this one and hopefully do better on my next. I find this much tougher than building a model car at least to my standards (low). :D

Ray, did you get an assortment of several sizes of dowels with your kit?

The masts are made from the dowels and they must be tapered to look like the real thing. The dowels are also used for the yards which are  tapered as well. The yards are the spars that are slung crosswise to support the sails. The yards need a good deal of rigging to support the sails.

The first rigging you need to install are the shrouds. The shrouds hold the mast in place from side to side.  The shrouds are made up of thread connected to the deadeyes. The deadeyes connect the shroud to the side of the ship. After you have the shrouds on both sides of the ship then you add the stays fore and aft. This is the rigging that holds the mast  in the proper position.  That is the standing rigging.  Only after the standing rigging is on can the running rigging be added to mount and set the sails.

It sounds rather complicated because it is.  There should be some info in your book that covers the rigging process.

Thanks guys. I am sure I am doing somethings wrong and in fact now know I did. As this is my first wooden kit I am not going to be too hard on myself and just view it as a learning lesson. I tried to do my best but I am sure my next project will be better. I have the masts built and did not think to taper the ends. Too late now. I should have known better. If nothing else when done it should provide a good laugh. There are two extra large holes ( the size for a mast ) in the deck with no mention of them and nothing to go in them. Looking at other photos I just don't know why they are there. I do think I will get better results with a better kit. I need more practice before I attempt to build the Russian 1700 wooden submarine kit I purchased. I may be in way over my head with that one.

Hi Ray,  I haven't a clue as to what the two holes are supposed to be used for.  Now there were holes in the decks for the levered pumps used to drain the bilges and to empty the hull of sea water from leakage, storms and war damages.  These holes could be feasible for this application, being the area the largest and most voluminous area of the hull.  Just it doesn't make sense to me them being there, plus the holes are too large for pump-type hardware.  Also there were no derricks or cranes on these boats, the yards and winches were used as cranes to lift cargo and cannons.  I'm stumped about the holes as of now.  Anyway, the bilge pumps were not located so openly on the main deck, but more out of the way of the cargo area.

The rest is taking shape, that's a nice looking deck in my opinion.  I also agree this is a wonderful kit to get the feel of things, and for 15 bucks it looks pretty darned good. 

Rigging, and mast support and sail attachment is something for the next time around, especially when the kit has decent instructions available.

Not to worry, you're on your way.

Michael

Ray, check out closer about any cannons in this kit.  Small boats like this had also a single, big cannon, like a carronade.  A big, short range gun that packed a real nasty punch.  This gun needed a good foundation, but these smaller vessels probably didn't have "two" side by side.  Let me look at some plans I have for some insight.  I have some that have a single gun, swivel mounted...maybe?

Here, a single cannon on a swivel mount.  Common armament from the day.

32418559fz.jpg

Another, the red lines are from the instructions, not my doings;

32418558bg.jpg

Here a look at the bilge pump I mentioned;

32418560vk.jpg

This is an Occre model ship of the same classification as yours, a brig rigged clipper from the late 1700's.

Still, I don't understand the two holes on your deck.

That one looks great and looks very much like the one I have . Unless this builder added a lot of things it is different. Looks to have less cannon ports, life boat on the rear,the wheel, other different stuff on deck and way more rigging than my kit came with. This builder could have very well made stuff to add and add all the correct rigging. Caution >>>>> when posted mine will NOT look any where near this good. It really does look like my kit done to a higher standard.