Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram Ferrari GTO 1/24 Scale the 5 year build

Funkychiken

• 5 months later...
On 3/29/2019 at 2:07 AM, Dann Tier said:

Great to see you back at this one again, bud!!!

Thanks Dann, and it's been the best part of 6 months, in limbo with my pending house move, but I have managed to get a few coats of Zero grey, lots of sanding an fillng & finished with a few coats of tamiya white primer - current status is ready for finish paint - it's going to get done today hopefully, I will use tamiya Red aerosol as I have 2 cans of it lying around - those cans have been with my for about 7 years too!

Bonnet and boot lid.jpg

doors prime.jpg

body prime.jpg

Rather than complain about the body, just tell people the car wrecked during track day the rebodied by old craftsmen from a secret Albanian restoration shop. That way you can proudly point out mistakes made, as they worked  from period photos.Works for me!

Walt O'Brien Sunny for now Otter Valley VT

7 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

Thanks Dann, and it's been the best part of 6 months, in limbo with my pending house move, but I have managed to get a few coats of Zero grey, lots of sanding an fillng & finished with a few coats of tamiya white primer - current status is ready for finish paint - it's going to get done today hopefully, I will use tamiya Red aerosol as I have 2 cans of it lying around - those cans have been with my for about 7 years too!

Bonnet and boot lid.jpg

doors prime.jpg

body prime.jpg

Its looking BRILLIANT to me!!!, Instead of fixing the rear body work on my Protar version, i'm building it as a kit car of the real car.

I too have had some problems with some Tamiya paint lately. Most people (including me) see Tamiya as the gold standard of model paint but the crazing and orange peel looks very similar to a Model T I was working on for a while. I had exactly the same result you have had....I abandoned the build for a while. Maybe when (if?) I get my L-29 done I will get back on the Model T. Believe me, I feel your pain and have considered exactly the same course of action you have taken-buy a different kit and start over from scratch. I admire your tenacity here!

3 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Its looking BRILLIANT to me!!!, Instead of fixing the rear body work on my Protar version, i'm building it as a kit car of the real car.

2 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

I too have had some problems with some Tamiya paint lately. Most people (including me) see Tamiya as the gold standard of model paint but the crazing and orange peel looks very similar to a Model T I was working on for a while. I had exactly the same result you have had....I abandoned the build for a while. Maybe when (if?) I get my L-29 done I will get back on the Model T. Believe me, I feel your pain and have considered exactly the same course of action you have taken-buy a different kit and start over from scratch. I admire your tenacity here!

Thanks Dann and Eric!

I'm cringing while reading from the beginning, but looks like you have made it over the summit!  Some projects just want all the attention.  I'm not familiar with this kit, so look forward to watching it get done.

Prolly too late to help, but I stole this chart awhile ago.

enamel acrylic lacquer.jpg

5 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I'm cringing while reading from the beginning, but looks like you have made it over the summit!  Some projects just want all the attention.  I'm not familiar with this kit, so look forward to watching it get done.

Prolly too late to help, but I stole this chart awhile ago.

yeah, i've learned a lot through the process, thanks for the chart, it makes sense!

One addition - nail polish - diluted with lacquer - doesn't like to stick to tamiya aerosol, it's a mechanical adhesion & chips off really easliy... 

just to keep the saga going, I was half way through coating with tamiya aerosol, and i dropped it! 

so I've waitng for it to dry, given it a light sand with 1500 grit & will be painting again tomorrow!

this tamiya sray has a very rough finish to it, like fine orange peel. I think I'm spraying too heavy on each coat.

painting the shell.jpg

I've had plenty of days like that, bud....i feel your frustration, and i'm glad that you will still carry on with it! About the paint; did you sand your primer coat before the red?...which primer did you use?...it may not be a heavy coat. I use their rattle cans, and find that it levels itself out. it looks textured when it first goes on for me, but then smooths-out as it dries.

On 9/23/2019 at 12:24 AM, Dann Tier said:

I've had plenty of days like that, bud....i feel your frustration, and i'm glad that you will still carry on with it! About the paint; did you sand your primer coat before the red?...which primer did you use?...it may not be a heavy coat. I use their rattle cans, and find that it levels itself out. it looks textured when it first goes on for me, but then smooths-out as it dries.

Hi Dann, I used tamiya white primer, lightly sanded. 

I'm in 2 minds as to what to do more. I might sand and respray... Or try to coat with tamiya clear, and see if it levels out somewhat...

Looking at you tube videos, others do appear to lay quite heavy costs too...

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Slow progress on my 3 main bench kits at the moment, as we are finally moving house, and i've spent a lot of time packing... 

Still left out a few modelling things to get a bit of progress.

This is my first attempt at using Tamiya TS for a good finish. I've also never used the clear before.

after a few light coats of italian red I've added the clear, and the results straight off the bat are impressive. It's cold in my converted garage this time of year, but it turned out acceptable. I'm considering to just polish and not sand at all.

one strange effect was the receeding of the red away from the edges of the vent ducts on the nose. this is only weired as it was fine when it was just the red, but upon adding the clear, it drew it back. it's difficult to see in the image as the reflection of the light makes it look worse than it actually is.

Anyway, this will be polished in the new house!

20191107_173139.jpg

20191107_173125.jpg

20191107_173215.jpg

On 11/7/2019 at 12:57 PM, Funkychiken said:

Hey all,

Slow progress on my 3 main bench kits at the moment, as we are finally moving house, and i've spent a lot of time packing... 

Still left out a few modelling things to get a bit of progress.

This is my first attempt at using Tamiya TS for a good finish. I've also never used the clear before.

after a few light coats of italian red I've added the clear, and the results straight off the bat are impressive. It's cold in my converted garage this time of year, but it turned out acceptable. I'm considering to just polish and not sand at all.

one strange effect was the receeding of the red away from the edges of the vent ducts on the nose. this is only weired as it was fine when it was just the red, but upon adding the clear, it drew it back. it's difficult to see in the image as the reflection of the light makes it look worse than it actually is.

Anyway, this will be polished in the new house!

20191107_173139.jpg

20191107_173125.jpg

20191107_173215.jpg

Thats weird for sure. I use their cans all the time without that result. Nobdy is gonna look at it that close....i wouldnt be bothered, bud -its looking KILLER!!!!

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2019 at 3:09 AM, DiscoRover007 said:

The paint pulling back is from adding too much clear in one session. It happens to me on panel lines from time to time. Its an easy fix if you have an airbrush. Just mist a little bit of paint to fill the line and buff out the rest of the area.

thanks James! I thought had put on light coats... but lesson was learnt!

the finish is a little rough... see pic.Before.jpg.69ea0751db5b56b90d5a6f23b9b16f1a.jpg

but I hadn't put enough layers down to sand... so I've polished out ith novous polish 3, 2 & 1, it's not super smooth, but it'll look great in the finished cabinet:

after1.jpg.6b76703d1e9493cd9149906bf8e2a4b6.jpgAfter3.jpg.09da0d55c2600f54834b541b398ccf6e.jpgafter4.jpg.1d605744fa3f595988a187b6ef407775.jpg

I've also hand painted the interior silver - using tamiya X-11

the hood vent cowels are clear, but have an ejector pin in the middle of them, which is going to be a pain to remove, and it will not be so clear after, but i'm still going to get rid of the mark...

cowels.jpg.f6644d51f829e790c5c82b23535ff5cb.jpg

now there's a little detailing left prior to final assembly

Chroming of the fogs

fogs.jpg.d6794148b0e2250188462a062f351f62.jpg

painting of the lights - these were done with tamiya clears

138761731_rearlights.jpg.b8838f794973581d8ed4a38660cf9c35.jpg

Its great to see you back at this, Bud!!!...its looking BRILLIANT!!! -cant believe those ejector marks on there!....bad news is having to sand them....good news is that they werent crystal clear on the real car to begin with, so it should look MORE realistic when you're done removing them!

• 4 weeks later...

THis build continues to challenge!

I did a dummy fit test for the chassis in the OLD body - the one with the poor paint job. It took ages to get in, and a few bits fell off - but that's the good news, the bad is that the rear wheel sits perfectly in the middle of the wheel arch, but the front wheel touches the arch at the front. More so on one side than the other. it is rather strange, but there is little I can do about it now. I really just what to get this together and sit it on the shelf!

20200117_174404.jpg

20200117_174400.jpg

14 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

THis build continues to challenge!

I did a dummy fit test for the chassis in the OLD body - the one with the poor paint job. It took ages to get in, and a few bits fell off - but that's the good news, the bad is that the rear wheel sits perfectly in the middle of the wheel arch, but the front wheel touches the arch at the front. More so on one side than the other. it is rather strange, but there is little I can do about it now. I really just what to get this together and sit it on the shelf!

20200117_174404.jpg

20200117_174400.jpg

As you probably know, these Ferraris were hand made cars with rather obvious side to side differences.  All the good people at Monogram did was to try their best to accentuate this feature! "Duh...I meant to do that!" Its all you have to say for story #1. For story #2 you could say the 1:1 was wrecked at the track. This is looking great. No matter what you do, yours will look 100 times better than that turd Monogram put on the box! Don't give up now.

Edited by Eric Macleod

1 hour ago, Eric Macleod said:

As you probably know, these Ferraris were hand made cars with rather obvious side to side differences.  All the good people at Monogram did was to try their best to accentuate this feature! "Duh...I meant to do that!" Its all you have to say for story #1. For story #2 you could say the 1:1 was wrecked at the track. This is looking great. No matter what you do, yours will look 100 times better than that turd Monogram put on the box! Don't give up now.

Cheers buddy!