Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT White Freightliner COE-Updates-04/30

With all the questions and issues with this kit I have decided to take a break from my road train project and build  my long overdue box art build of this kit . I have had good luck and little problems building this one in the past , however we are talking about mid 70’s issue kits. I’m opening up a current issue just to see if the tooling is worn creating more problems than what were originally in the kit design. I will post my findings as I go along. If anyone can tell me how post pictures off of an IPhone without a separate photo box I will include pictures of the build as well, I will give details as the build process regardless! Would like to help everyone get the most out of one of my favourite kits! Rick 

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, PettyKW43 said:

With all the questions and issues with this kit I have decided to take a break from my road train project and build  my long overdue box art build of this kit . I have had good luck and little problems building this one in the past , however we are talking about mid 70’s issue kits. I’m opening up a current issue just to see if the tooling is worn creating more problems than what were originally in the kit design. I will post my findings as I go along. If anyone can tell me how post pictures off of an IPhone without a separate photo box I will include pictures of the build as well, I will give details as the build process regardless! Would like to help everyone get the most out of one of my favourite kits! Rick 

Cool! It'll be good to have somebody else building this kit as well.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:08 AM, Goodwrench3 said:

That first pic looks pretty much exactly how the Freightliner front wheels look if the kit is built per the instructions  ;-)  

I sectioned the front axle as many others have done on this site so that I got the wheels tucked back where they should be.

The other issue [which parked my build on the bench] is getting the interior tub to fit right inside the cab shell.  Mine currently has a big gap between the sides of the interior tub and the side of the cab.  I'm also not sure if the front of the tub is supposed to fit behind the grill or not.  I'll post photos of mine and since we now have a "active" Freightliner being built again.  I'm sure lots of questions will be answered during your build !

Thanks 

Man...................I'm really getting the heebee geebee's reading all these issues with this kit but I'll tackle 'em one at a time. I've built some pretty bad kits in the last 4 years and managed to make them fairly acceptable to me.

1 hour ago, mustang1989 said:

Man...................I'm really getting the heebee geebee's reading all these issues with this kit but I'll tackle 'em one at a time. I've built some pretty bad kits in the last 4 years and managed to make them fairly acceptable 

1 hour ago, mustang1989 said:

Man...................I'm really getting the heebee geebee's reading all these issues with this kit but I'll tackle 'em one at a time. I've built some pretty bad kits in the last 4 years and managed to make them fairly acceptable to me.

Upper part of the tub could be causing the gap. I used a belt sanded on it,lite passes on all 4 sides. Sand test fit,resand and test. Also the peep window it was sanded down a good bit before the tub would fit rite. Oh yeah,I had to sand both ends of the dash too,just a little on the ends.

With all the flaws that kit should be a level 10. Keep asking questions.

Still a good kit when done. Ill post picks of mine in a min.it's under glass(clays freightliner.

1 hour ago, Mopar - D said:

Joe, glad to see you here in the big rigs. Looking forward to seeing how you are going to build this one out. I’m going to restart my year old project starting today. I have next week off and no plans to go anywhere. 

Man!!! And I was going to call you in the next few days too. I'll pm you sometime today. Are you going to the show in Houston at the end of the month?

I've found a ton of reference sites for the exterior of these trucks but I've yet to find a walkaround set of photos or a decent detail book reference for this kit. I know of one truck locally that I'd really like to get some photos of because that truck is beautiful.

If anybody knows of a site with walkaround photos that'd be fantastic. Stuff like detailed chassis , interior and engine shots. Till then........................the mock up assembly continues on.................

1 minute ago, mustang1989 said:

I've found a ton of reference sites for the exterior of these trucks but I've yet to find a walkaround set of photos or a decent detail book reference for this kit. I know of one truck locally that I'd really like to get some photos of because that truck is beautiful.

If anybody knows of a site with walkaround photos that'd be fantastic. Stuff like detailed chassis , interior and engine shots. Till then........................the mock up assembly continues on................

Have you tried Google,sometimes that will  help.

7 minutes ago, clayton said:
9 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

If anybody knows of a site with walkaround photos that'd be fantastic. Stuff like detailed chassis , interior and engine shots. Till then........................the mock up assembly continues on................

Have you tried Google,sometimes that will  help.

I've searched high and low........................but not on Google. If that'll help I'll give it a shot. Thanks Clayton.

22 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

I've searched high and low........................but not on Google. If that'll help I'll give it a shot. Thanks Clayton.

I have a few on my Flickr page (just click on the first picture on my Dodge build). Go to albums. I have them divided by truck brand. I also have a few that I've saved from the net that I could PM you. I also have a 1983 service manual, as well as some engine manuals. Pm me if you're looking for something particular, I may have it.

2 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

If it helps, I made a post that I'll put a link on below. I put a ton of pictures up of these Freightliner cabovers.

LOL!

Well...........among other little tidbits that I'll have about this tricky kit (along with some tricky instructions) is the fact that the cab rests will have to be installed at a later part of the build than what the instructions call for. At least that's what I'm finding. They interfere with the exhaust crossover pipe installation between the two exhaust stacks. They are called out in this photo:

6U4Wik.jpg

For the most part it's going fairly well. This kit has ALOT of seam filling, mold lines and ejector pin marks to contend with. I've marked most everything with a black sharpie so they'll stand out boldly for reference points during the actual build. I'm sooooooo glad I'm taking the time to do the build up because I'm finding some faults with the instruction sheet in terms of where stuff actually goes and I'm hitting the problematic areas with no fear of screwing anything I've painted/ detailed up.

Here's where I'm at right now. I may have to cut the crossover pipe in two in order to install it but that's ok. Again.......I'll know about this before hand with the actual build.

sAljOt.jpg

I am currently working on the SD version of this kit. Did the tanks and rear fenders come in white or Chrome in your kit? I see they are white, but did you strip them or they came this way? Mine are chrome in the SD kit. 

You are right about this kit, lots of mold lines, seams, pin marks. I am spending a ton of time sanding and filling. Due to the build I am doing, a Septic truck, I have not had to deal with the stacks, but I am going with a under frame muffler, the turbo to muffler tubing has taken me hours alone. 

I love what you are doing, this is a great kit and fun to build. I look forward to seeing yours come along, looks great so far.