Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT White Freightliner COE-Updates-04/30

Yes -- in fact, on my kit the cab rests are not in the right place as far as where the cab actually rests !   I had to move them so that they lined up with where the cab actually sits.  Make sure you test fit the completed cab with the grill and see where the back of it lands when it is hinged.  

Yeah -- there is a lot of clean up.  I spent a lot of nights with the Tamiya putty filling and sanding all the ditches, divots, craters, seams, mold lines, pin marks, etc.

It's great to see everyone watching this build.

Have you fit the cab with the tires on it yet? How is the fit, on mine as I said the tires stick out way too far. Did you have the same issue?

I hate that there are huge pin marks in the Exhaust stacks facing out for all the world to see. If I was to have use the stacks, I would cut off the pipe and replace with aluminum tubing. I did this on my Pete.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:55 AM, Goodwrench3 said:

Yes -- in fact, on my kit the cab rests are not in the right place as far as where the cab actually rests !   I had to move them so that they lined up with where the cab actually sits.  Make sure you test fit the completed cab with the grill and see where the back of it lands when it is hinged.  

Yeah -- there is a lot of clean up.  I spent a lot of nights with the Tamiya putty filling and sanding all the ditches, divots, craters, seams, mold lines, pin marks, etc.

It's great to see everyone watching this build.

I'll definitely keep that in mind in regards to the cab rests. Thanks for the heads up Jeff. OMG the clean up.!!!!!!!  I'm going to a show this weekend and I've already got a couple of more sets of sanding files on the "to-get" list. lol

17 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

Have you fit the cab with the tires on it yet? How is the fit, on mine as I said the tires stick out way too far. Did you have the same issue?

I hate that there are huge pin marks in the Exhaust stacks facing out for all the world to see. If I was to have use the stacks, I would cut off the pipe and replace with aluminum tubing. I did this on my Pete.

Thanks for the comments Scott. I have not yet but I've omitted the front brakes and went a step further with the front wheels in regards to position. I'll cover this in a separate photo shoot session when that time comes. I am going with the aluminum tubing for the stacks and I've got a PE set coming for the heat shields (along with a slew of other stuff) Stay tuned..........................I aint done with this by a longshot.

Edited by mustang1989

1 hour ago, Goodwrench3 said:

RE:   " I've already got a couple of more sets of sanding files on the "to-get" list. "

-- don't forget another couple tubes of Tamiya putty (that *might* get you through the kit)  !     LOL.

Yeah... she's a dirty one for sure.

LOL!!! Yessirree! LOTS of work to do on this one!! philsawing_zps438a93e5.gifphilfiling_zps1ce08b24.gifsmileys-painting-009432_zps0b513ffb.gifphilinspector_zpsb2663074.gif

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:34 AM, Oldmopars said:

I am currently working on the SD version of this kit. Did the tanks and rear fenders come in white or Chrome in your kit? I see they are white, but did you strip them or they came this way? Mine are chrome in the SD kit. 

You are right about this kit, lots of mold lines, seams, pin marks. I am spending a ton of time sanding and filling. Due to the build I am doing, a Septic truck, I have not had to deal with the stacks, but I am going with a under frame muffler, the turbo to muffler tubing has taken me hours alone. 

I love what you are doing, this is a great kit and fun to build. I look forward to seeing yours come along, looks great so far. 

Sorry for the late reply. The fuel tanks came  molded in white on this one. I may, after cleaning the tanks up on the project build , decide to chrome them using Molotow thru an airbrush or some Alclad.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:12 PM, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Can't wait to see more!

Thanks Brian.

Okeedokee everybody. It's time for the cab updates. This is probably the most dreaded part of this build if building a sleeper cab. The day cab is a breeze in comparison.
First off there is a nasty seam to fill between the passenger and sleeper half of it.

This is after assembly and I cleaned this up as best I could. Gonna be a lot of work right here.

Secondly, I've heard just as many horror stories in regards to interior fit into the cab. I shaded the areas in with a black sharpie that needed trimmed up for the interior to slide nicely inside:

The sides needed a lot of work

Then the rear of the interior and cab gave me some fit issues particularly in the area where both of the cab rest blocks are located. So a little sanding was done on the interior tub:

and some on the rest blocks:

Then the front of the cab had its issues with the interior tub and the front lower corners of the cab that had a little "slag" causing a fit problem. So I sanded a little off of the corners of the tub and the steering column since it protruded outside of the interior at the base of the column. (the black dot on the passengers floorboard is just an ejector pin mark that I'll have to take care of.)

Here's the area of the cab that needed shaved in the front lower corners:

So far so good with the overall fit. A little tweaking to do but it's no big deal:

Something else of notable mention. I was gonna ask what the deal was or if I was missing any parts but I had the other kit to refer to and my question was answered. The drivers side of the cab at the door area seemed to have a part missing at first but the more I looked at it, the more it didn't look right.

So I dug out the actual build kit and compared and whaddaya know................it was a blem cab. :ballbat:

No trouble with this one:

As Merle Haggard says....................Movin' On.............

1 hour ago, mustang1989 said:

Something else of notable mention. I was gonna ask what the deal was or if I was missing any parts but I had the other kit to refer to and my question was answered. The drivers side of the cab at the door area seemed to have a part missing at first but the more I looked at it, the more it didn't look right.

So I dug out the actual build kit and compared and whaddaya know................it was a blem cab. :ballbat:

Those spots that are marked in black,I had to do the same thing. I used a belt sander. Give it a lite tap and test fit each time. You may have to trim the dash ends as well.

Are the sides of the interior tub flush against the doors ?    On mine, there is a gap between the side of the interior tub and the inside of the cab shell.

Also -- when you put the chrome grill in the cab, does the front of the interior tub press against the grill when it is installed in the cab  ?    I wasn't clear on how that was supposed to fit.  

Thanks!

44 minutes ago, Goodwrench3 said:

Are the sides of the interior tub flush against the doors ?    On mine, there is a gap between the side of the interior tub and the inside of the cab shell.

Also -- when you put the chrome grill in the cab, does the front of the interior tub press against the grill when it is installed in the cab  ?    I wasn't clear on how that was supposed to fit.  

Thanks!

Mine hits the grill as well. I forget to glue the grill to the cab.

20180427_213014

14 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

So far so good.....Don't forget to lower the headlights....

1 hour ago, Oldmopars said:

What is wrong with the headlights?

They sit too high up on the kit. If you look at a picture of the real truck and compare it to the kit, the differences are quite obvious. Look at the passenger side headlight position compared to the vent.

AMTPK6118Freightl-vi.jpg

59700286-770-0@2X.jpg

That.................is a PERFECT reference for the headlamp problem. I dunno what I'm going to do if anything about that just yet. I've already got one project on my bench that I'm doing surgery on and I really don't want to add a second "patient" to the mix. lol. So far everything else is going fairly smooth. I did find that when I fitted the cab onto the chassis that the bottom of the interior tub was hitting the air intake for the engine at the top of the radiator. I had to sand a little from the bottom of the tub and at the air intake assembly but it all fits good now. Front tires are right where I wanted 'em so I glued those in place as well. The front bumper is low enough to allow the cab to tilt forward with no fit interference issues. So far, aside from ALOT of cleanup and the headlamps that are too high issue this kit is turning out to be a good one.

I may not have lowered them enough, but this is how far I lowered mine. The frontal shot of the real thing is a great reference. I never thought to look at the headlight height in reference to the vent on the passenger side. Good luck with this build and I look forward to seeing  how it turns out.

100_3986-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:36 AM, Mopar - D said:

Joe any new updates? 

Heya Dan! I've let this one go to a certain degree just because I've been so dang busy in the 1:1 scale world. I'm coming back around to this one but needed something a little more like I'm used to for the time being. I started another "Demon II" build over in the Auto section that shouldn't take me too awful long to get completed. I may even have it done in time for the HAMS show in Houston for July. I want to take my time on this FL and do a decent job so rushing is out the window. Will be back soon with some things that I've found with the kit and how to overcome them. Thank you for checkin' in pal.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:45 PM, PettyKW43 said:

You will also find that the grill actually is a bit sunk in , I remove a small amount of plastic from the inside of the cabshell until the grille sits just slightly over flush with the outside surface of the cab nose .

I see what you mean Rich. It's not much but it's there. Will look into that.

• 2 months later...

I have been thinkin about trying this kit but have yet to stash one

My thoughts on the headlight issue is the problem lies with the distance from the top/highest point of the radius on the wheel opening to the bottom of the body.

Thats what looks to long to me 

When i compare a pic of the 1 to 1, the headlight buckets appear to be at about centered on a horizontal line with the top /highest point of the wheel well

The build looks awsome 

Looking forward to seeing it done

You are doing an excellent job on probably one of the toughest kits to make look good with all of it's issues. Just when you think you are out of the woods you'll get to the cab ladders. When they are glued together you will find that the opening in the cab is too wide for them to fit behind correctly, and if you do manage to get them centered in there, they are right up against the front tires. You may want to look at some reference 1:1 pics and scratchbuild your own. The one I have started has the openings filled in with plans on making stirrup steps like the ones on Ray's (SpreadAxle) in his photo above.

Jim