Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dad's VW Bug

Safire6

Hi Steve... that is a very nice TR6 you have there, and lovely condition for 1972. I see you have owned the car for around 27 years, that is something to be proud of indeed. At one time I used to work in the parts department for a leading Triumph, Rover, Jaguar dealership in England, which was during 1976 - 1977 so there were relatively new Triumph TR6's and Jaguar E-Types in the showrooms and in the workshops. I got to know every part of most Triumphs including TR4A, TR5, TR6, TR7, Dolomite Sprint, Stag V8, Spitfire and also the 2.5 PI as used by the Police. As far as I know, there isn't a kit for the TR6 but I am aware of the Minicraft TR3 of which I have two, and Gunze Sangyo did a TR2 I believe. I do make regular searches for kits in 1:24 scale especially, particularly Rolls-Royce motor cars, but also Morgans, Jaguars, Morris, Triumph and Austin.

The one kit that I cannot find in this scale is the Austin FX3 London Taxi, which is the older shape body. There are plenty of Austin FX4 London Taxis about, both in Revell plastic kit form and also the Welly diecast version. Later this month I am starting a conversion build from a Tamiya 1936 Toyoda kit that I have to see if I can produce an FX3 taxi.

The Lindberg kit pictured below shows that the GT6 could be converted to a Triumph Spitfire, but the front end is quite different from your TR6, so I don't think it could be done. The Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud kits that I have used for my five builds are only from Minicraft and Revell, because no other company had a license to produce them.

David

95777bt.jpg

lindberg-triumphgt6.JPG

Great job using paint!

Cool TR6!  Seems like 1:43 and/or 1:32 scale are available, but I prefer 1:24/5.  When I was in high school, got a ride home in one, but the shocks were worn out, seemed like we were dragging our butts on the pavement.

On 4/8/2018 at 8:02 PM, Anglia105E said:

Also, Steve, this very nice resin TR6 if you have a lot of money..... £119.54 is around US $: 168.44

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUCKY-STEP-COLLECTIBLES-002A-TRIUMPH-TR6-resin-model-road-car-green-1-18th-scale/222828658486?hash=item33e19f7f36:g:ZFQAAOSw4DJYfOIn

David

Thanks for the links David but yes, a bit out of my price range. I'll stick to spending $ on my full size TR for now. You know from working in the parts department for those years that there seems  to be always something to fix on an old car. But that's what makes it fun for me and the Triumph is so straightforward and easy to work on!  I have the GT6+ kit shown at the top in your post. I don't have the skills to make it into anything but a GT6+ at this time.

Cheers!

On 4/8/2018 at 10:12 PM, 89AKurt said:

Great job using paint!

Cool TR6!  Seems like 1:43 and/or 1:32 scale are available, but I prefer 1:24/5.  When I was in high school, got a ride home in one, but the shocks were worn out, seemed like we were dragging our butts on the pavement.

Thanks Kurt! Yes a couple of the TR6s I test drove including the one pictured had the customary "tail squat" that is well known in the Triumph independent rear suspension (IRS). The condition can be rectified by some simple modifications, if you want it rectified-some people consider it part of the character of the car!

4 hours ago, FredRPG said:

Really nice build, you did a great job and that smell everyone remembers from the old vws was the horsehair seat stuffing.  After it gets wet a few times it smells even better?

Thanks Fred-I always wondered what made that smell. I just thought it was old wool upholstery or something.