Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '67 Mustang Mach 1 concept

pack rat

I originally built this AMT Mach 1 back in the 70's.  For years I've wanted to do a proper job on it; it deserved better than the simple silver(?) and flat black paint and quickie-build.

I didn't want to get bogged down adding details being as the kit is basically a '66 Mustang annual with a different body and simplified interior.

It's tough to match the paint of the 1:1 with so few decent pics out there, so I just went with something I liked; Tamiya pink primer followed by TS-18, then TS-74, and finally Testors Ultra Gloss clear. 

The tires are MPC hollow Firestones  (from a Wilhelm's Wonder kit I believe).  I added some detail with a gold Sharpie; the results are so-so, and not very durable.  I'll probably replace them with a set of pad-printed Firestone big 'n littles some day soon.

Didn't turn out as nice as I envisioned, but not too bad.    

z1.JPG

z2.JPG

z3.JPG

z4.JPG

z5.JPG

z6.JPG

image.png.386f8565a32d22eb686bb3dd644665a3.png

This is the money shot here! I had to look twice as I thought for a second this was the actual concept car! Very nice save on this old build and yes, rescuing old models and restoring them is a nice alternative sometimes as opposed to starting something brand new. ;)

Excellent work on the beautiful, old Mach 1 show car. You really nailed the look of the original. Very nicely done.

This kit has been near the top of my most wanted list for many years. I first saw  photo of this car in 1982, and wanted to build a model of it. In 2003 when I finally gained access to the internet and ebay, I discovered a kit of the car was actually made, and I've been searching ever since. Last year a decent unbuilt kit appeared on ebay, but at $75 (and shipping that was too high) I let it go. Perhaps I should have pulled the trigger then. Anyway, yours is gorgeous, and my search continues.