[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Kit Basher

Lotus Europa

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Thanks, Scott!

Edited by Kit Basher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dodge Driver said:

Well done, Hugh. Your workmanship is exceptional throughout the Lotus.

Thanks, Frank! A lot of the credit should go to Tamiya. A very precise and well engineered kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Very nice job, that's a beauty.

I have a spot for Europas as I had planned to buy one while stationed in Germany to be sent home when I got out of the Army. That never happened, but I still have a kit I'm planning to build ... and I bought a Triumph TR4A when I returned in it's place..

Edited by Foxer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Foxer said:

Very nice job, that's a beauty.

I have a spot for Europas as I had planned to buy one while stationed in Germany to be sent home when I got out of the Army. That never happened, but I still have a kit I'm planning to build ... and I bought a Triumph TR4A when I returned in it's place..

Thanks, Mike! I've been following your TR-4. It looks like you're getting close. I wish there was a kit in 1/25 of that car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job Hugh. I really like that green finish. I built one but did it in white and now wish I'd done like you. I still have another sans windshield and decals (I bought it because I buggered up the windshield and decals from the original). Maybe I'll build this one and copy you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2018 at 9:08 AM, cobraman said:

Nice job. I could never get into one of those cars. :D

Yeah, lotus is not known to cater to us larger folk. I did have an elise for a while and almost wore my shoulders out trying to get in and out of that thing. Thank goodness the top came off though... I had to stretch and loosen up to get in it when the top was on although after a while I could ingress/egress with some dignity. I can imagine the europa was about the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work on the Europa, and the colour suits it really well. You did the decals well, they look like they could be problematic. These are great little cars, and an absolute blast to drive.

Did you use the adhesive metal transfers for the  LOTUS letters on the deck lid? There is a bit of pucker factor when applying these letters. Just last week I had robbed the transfer letters from a Europa kit for the Fujimi Lotus Esprit I am working on. I applied them to the hatch on my Esprit, but the letters stuck harder to the carrier film than did to the model. Did you have the same problem? Getting these little tiny letters placed properly was a chore. A part number is provided for them in the Europa kit instructions, so I think I will contact Tamiya to see if they will sell me a new set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't see many of these kits built Hugh, and very few for sale also...... your build is very nicely done, and that is the perfect paint finish for this car. Beautiful gold decals and congratulations on your patience with them..... Well done!

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, freddy_fo said:

Nice job Hugh. I really like that green finish. I built one but did it in white and now wish I'd done like you. I still have another sans windshield and decals (I bought it because I buggered up the windshield and decals from the original). Maybe I'll build this one and copy you.

 

Thanks, John! The box shows white, red, and black, and I suspect those were the stock colors for the Special. I wanted green, so there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bainford said:

Nice work on the Europa, and the colour suits it really well. You did the decals well, they look like they could be problematic. These are great little cars, and an absolute blast to drive.

Did you use the adhesive metal transfers for the  LOTUS letters on the deck lid? There is a bit of pucker factor when applying these letters. Just last week I had robbed the transfer letters from a Europa kit for the Fujimi Lotus Esprit I am working on. I applied them to the hatch on my Esprit, but the letters stuck harder to the carrier film than did to the model. Did you have the same problem? Getting these little tiny letters placed properly was a chore. A part number is provided for them in the Europa kit instructions, so I think I will contact Tamiya to see if they will sell me a new set.

Thanks, Trevor! I did use the metal transfers, and I had the same problem you did. They would barely stick to the model, but stuck like crazy to the carrier film. I ended up placing each one individually and gluing them on with Future. A pain in the shorts but it worked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice and well done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done! You take me down memory lane. I was a parts manager in a multi line British  car dealer. BL and Lotus.

Regards

Brian Kroon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now