Model Cars Magazine Forum

TAT 2018 IH F-4270

• 3 weeks later...

Slow going.

Got a bit more of the 903 together.  The water pump piece is kind of Mickey Mouse.

Will post a pic later this week.

A bit delayed in progress -- we're moving my mother from the house we grew up in to an assisted living facility.  It's a tough time.  So I'm on "pause" for a bit.

Edited by Goodwrench3
added to post

• 4 months later...

Well, I got to my bench for a while this weekend. It doesn't look like a lot of progress, but it was mostly more clean-up work.  I did get some of the 903 primed.

I'm still not sure which "red" paint to use on the 903 -- i.e. I know that DRIPTROIT has used the "Majic Tractor and implement" spray cans from Tractor Supply and they do have an "IH red".  Or whether there is a good red from Testors/Model Master ?

ih_pic.jpg

16 hours ago, Goodwrench3 said:

Well, I got to my bench for a while this weekend. It doesn't look like a lot of progress, but it was mostly more clean-up work.  I did get some of the 903 primed.

I'm still not sure which "red" paint to use on the 903 -- i.e. I know that DRIPTROIT has used the "Majic Tractor and implement" spray cans from Tractor Supply and they do have an "IH red".  Or whether there is a good red from Testors/Model Master ?

We used to restore a few farm tractors and IH Red varies some from manufacturer to manufacturer. Farmall Red is often slightly different from that. As Jim has said Testors 1203 looks plenty close. Also, sometimes implement paint is very thick, so if you go that route, be careful because you can hide engine details under paint before you realize it.

Got down to the bench this afternoon, but after an entire afternoon I don't have a lot to show for it -- more parts clean-up (filling, sanding, etc.).

It was too cold here today to do more primer work -- I'm afraid winter will be early in southern Wisconsin !

I do have one question for the "veterans" here (and those who have built this kit in the past) -- the rear suspension has some "lugs" that appear to me to need to be removed and cleaned up.  I can't see a purpose for them in the instructions.  The picture shows both sides of the rear springs/air bags and those "dots" indicated by the orange arrows are on the inside of them.  I'm guessing those "dots" should be removed?

suspension_witharrows.jpg

Those are from the manufacturing process. You may want to remove them, but they will hardly be seen once together. Here's the underside of mine looking through the case, and I didn't sand them off. Of course you can see them on the inner portion of my frame rails though.

IMG_2467.thumb.JPG.5c8103aa65b8ea44470a5eca2b227351.JPG

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with this kit/suspension (it looks like a Neway from back in the day but wouldn't swear too it). Regardless, I'm  curious if there supposed to be a shock absorber mounted on that nub?   Most trailing arm rear suspensions have shocks....somewhere in that general vicinity. 

Not trying to be a rivet counter and again, I don't know this kit.  Only saying if ERTL didn't include shocks with the kit and you wanted to add them, half the work is done.

Peace.

Edited by olsbooks

Hi -- yes there are shocks that mount from the frame to the top of the spring shackle as shown in the plans here.  The bottom of the shock has a pin molded into that sits in the "notch" shown in the piece -- but it doesn't attach to that little "dot".

Thanks for looking !

plan_1_rotated.jpg

Plan_3_rotated.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...