Model Cars Magazine Forum

TAT 2018 IH F-4270

Very helpful post from another forum.  This explains a lot:

4200 and 4300 Internationals had a 28-inch set back from the front bumper to the middle of the axle. Ertl got it incorrect as they used the 32-inch axle spacing from the 4070A Transtar.

Working now on relocating the front axle on this kit and also on my BRBO 4300 kit.

Hopefully when that's done the weather will finally look like spring here in Wisconsin so it will be warm enough in the garage to do some painting.  Snow here today !!!   

After much debate, and after reading a lot of posts on various boards, I think I'll paint the 903 black despite the box art pictures.  It sounds like (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) while IH did have engines painted IH red, the 903 was an exception and was actually black.  I've looked for a 1:1 photos of 4200's with the 903 (hard to find) -- and did find this one.

Look forward to comments !

4200_4.jpg

4200_903.jpg

I wouldn't get too caught up in whole "engine has to be this color" thing. Remember that there exceptions to every rule. I was of the understanding that the only engines that weren't "meant to be red" were the IH engines to set them apart. This would be factory fresh example of a truck. I know that in other trucks, different color engines slipped through and I can only assume the same for IH as well. So even factory fresh leaves the window of variance. If it is not a factory fresh build, then anything goes. Between repairs and possible engine swaps, the sky is the limit.  I think that it is totally up to you. Black, red or even tan in my opinion would be just fine. I have seen inline Cummins in IHs before that were a combination of red and tan from having repair work done.

I find the whole "903 thing" quite interesting.  Even during the period when KW and Pete were having all of their engines painted white, the 903 seems also to be an exception -- it was black (at least in the KWs ).  I also haven't been able to find any 1:1 photos of KWs with white 903s.  Plenty with white Detroits, etc.

Sure -- I know there are always exceptions and unless you know that a truck in a photo is truly factory-original, it's a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH shoot.

I just like the history aspect of what was done and when, and why.  Building is fun, and learning the history is fun too.  It's sometimes a nice story to tell when someone is looking at your model and asks "did they really paint these engines white?"  (or whatever the question)  ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thx --   Just ordered the cab striping decals.  Can't decide whether to paint it a cream color or silver.  I'll see what shade of red the decals are when they get here.  I was hoping to get a dark red/maroon shade to go with a cream color cab -- but we'll see when they arrive.