Model Cars Magazine Forum

2 hours ago, landman said:

Brian, this wasn't wrinkling or lifting, it was like it shot powder for an instant.

Mine looked the same as yours. It was an airplane project for my son. I had used lacquer automotive primer for the base thinking that whatever paint that I used on top wouldn't be hotter than the primer. I shook the can of Rustoleum well, ran a test spray on a piece of metal with no problem, and when I sprayed the plane, it looked like I sprayed it with little balls of paint, almost like ground marker paint would do.

I wasn't meaning to make a painful experience more painful. I was just curious if it was the same brand of paint that I had trouble with.

Sorry again for the set back, but I'm sure you will have it back to looking like new soon.

40 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Mine looked the same as yours. It was an airplane project for my son. I had used lacquer automotive primer for the base thinking that whatever paint that I used on top wouldn't be hotter than the primer. I shook the can of Rustoleum well, ran a test spray on a piece of metal with no problem, and when I sprayed the plane, it looked like I sprayed it with little balls of paint, almost like ground marker paint would do.

I wasn't meaning to make a painful experience more painful. I was just curious if it was the same brand of paint that I had trouble with.

Sorry again for the set back, but I'm sure you will have it back to looking like new soon.

Don't feel bad, it seems to be routine with me.  :huh:

pppfff , thats bad , lot of work and than ......

have it some years ago , the pigments of the two paints wil give a chemical reaction

so clean it and start over again and than i use paint from the same company, no problems

but i am stil love this old girl

jacobus 

Thanks for the sympathy Jacobus. It actually sprayed grit, it wasn't a reaction. So I tried it again at lenght on something else and it didn't do it again. So keep your fingers crossed.

Installed the bumper and a strip under the rear of the cab to level it. Installed the stack. There wasn't much choice so it is a bit far from the cab and a bit close to the battery box, the heat, you know. Made a bracket out of a frame to floorpan brace from another model and a bracket out of a small channel. It looks a bit chunky. i might change that for two round rod in a vee.

IMG_7309.JPG.439b7e60dd193515a93b5fa7ef0014ba.JPG

IMG_7310.JPG.985cf6b6c62babd00b87591ec1605ba1.JPG

IMG_7311.JPG.496c2fcd17aeb6767d5a87a32aadc4cb.JPG

IMG_7312.JPG.918b4d80d97dc5c36daae9c1d8b8ba12.JPG

I am also waging a running battle with the "glass".

Edited by landman

On 5/26/2018 at 1:53 PM, landman said:

Brian, this wasn't wrinkling or lifting, it was like it shot powder for an instant.

If it was too hot that day,the paint may have dryed before it hit the body. I've had that to happen.

Looks like we are on the home stretch. Made up some mudflaps out of some old business cards secured with Meng nuts. They have the right thickness, texture etc.

IMG_7328.JPG.c156fe1a6a2c07bfdfa94858b81a8786.JPG

IMG_7329.JPG.214b56d7476df62be6200d05c37959cb.JPG

Made the stack bracket out of No.18 wire flattened at one end and secured with Meng nuts.

IMG_7332.JPG.9597454bec4acb87b95537bf91299653.JPG

Installed the quarter fenders, cable and hoses along with the nice mesh supplied by AITM.

IMG_7333.JPG.8e2f19ff2a7c9799a100cca17e2c1d4b.JPG

IMG_7331.JPG.943acb1a5078a253ccee409e69307712.JPG

Edited by landman

On 6/12/2018 at 8:03 AM, landman said:

I managed to ruin the decals. I have ordered another set from Mr. Natale. Here it is in the warehouse

Which have come in today. And he seems to have forgotten the invoice. THUMBS UP BIG TIME for Mr. Natale!!!!!

Edited by landman

• 7 months later...
On 4/8/2018 at 8:55 PM, landman said:

The inspiration for my build comes from this truck that a contractor not far from here has restored.

M.J.labelle0002.jpg.31a2725d048b1bafd182fde1f237d7a3.jpg

He started out logging and became a prominent highway and road builder in this area. He is a car collector and a philanthropist. Since he sold his company, he has been giving money by the hundreds of thousands of dollars to various charities. He turned down one purchase offer because the buyer wouldn't guarantee him he'd keep his staff. That kind of guy.

170494131_1297500159941_ORIGINAL1.jpg.7ca95aadd201212bbf1134f8882f7198.jpg

There are a few things up in the air yet. Do I do it single drive like his restored truck or dual like his logging rig. And since there doesn't appear to be any B-61 engines ion the market, do I build it curbside or do I stick the ENDT 673 in it?

He just gave 5 million to a Sudbury hospital. He is a spry 96 as we speak.

Edited by landman