Model Cars Magazine Forum

I got the glass and the interior installed. The windshield gave me a bit of grief, it doesn't really have a sweet spot that it sits in nicely so I have a slight gap at the top on the passenger side. Luckily the cab overhang hides it pretty well. I used regular cement, as I don't think the clear parts cement I have would hold it in place. Also managed to get the bed decal in and tailgate on.

IMG_3391.JPG

IMG_3388.JPG

IMG_3395.JPG

IMG_3396.JPG

Thanks, they are ear-ring making parts from michaels.

I also fixed the trailer hitch. I didn't like the little  nub of plastic they give you for a ball, so I chucked a finishing nail in my drill and shaped it a bit with a file. A touch of molotow and it looks better.

100_4475.JPG

I had some trouble attaching the frame to the body. The floor pan did not want to meet up with the firewall nicely. I had to really squeeze it to get them to meet. Next time EVERYTHING gets a dry fit before any painting goes on.:unsure: I melted a couple of the prototype tailgate u-clips I had in place temporarily to hold it till the glue dried and then added a couple little straps to beef up the joint. 

IMG_3420.JPG

The kit tail light buckets were just a little tiny to cover the tailgate hinge pins so I wound up making new tail-light buckets out of styrene rod (couldn't find a chunk of sprue quite large enough). I ditched the kit lens since they were way too thick I thought. I counter sunk the new buckets slightly and dabbed in some Model Master stop light red metallic.

IMG_3428.JPG

IMG_3427.JPG

Edited by NOBLNG

I'm building this kit currently and have already painted/weathered it... this is making me second guess and regret doing so... I may have to strip mine and go with more of a better paint job...

I have a question though, didn't the decal sheet have 3 different Chevrolet colors for the tailgate? Including white... I wonder why you painted the letters instead of using the decals? I'm asking because I haven't tried them yet. Wondering if they are difficult to get in place they look seperate... just wondering? 

Hi Anthony.

I like the weathered look too, I've just never tried it yet. There are 3 colors for the tailgate lettering in this kit. I did try to put the "C" on and it just did not want to stay put where I wanted it to. A little more patience and I might have got it?... then there was the "hevrolet" to follow. I gave up prematurely. Note the little issues I had above and also mask the axle pins and the holes in the wheels if you are not glueing them solid. if you have to sand your paint off them the wheels get really loose and floppy (maybe they are anyways?). My kit came with two complete sets of stock chrome bumpers etc. did yours?

Edited by NOBLNG

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

Hi Anthony.

I like the weathered look too, I've just never tried it yet. There are 3 colors for the tailgate lettering in this kit. I did try to put the "C" on and it just did not want to stay put where I wanted it to. A little more patience and I might have got it?... then there was the "hevrolet" to follow. I gave up prematurely. Note the little issues I had above and also mask the axle pins and the holes in the wheels if you are not glueing them solid. if you have to sand your paint off them the wheels get really loose and floppy (maybe they are anyways?). My kit came with two complete sets of stock chrome bumpers etc. did yours?

No, mine only has the one set... you must've got doubles... Good to know the problems in advance. Like I stated before, I need to decide if I want pretty paint or patina. I've never built the truck. I've had about 6 but never stuck glue to any until now.

I'm getting close now. Still need to attach the delicate cab goodies, wipers, emblems, mirrors, headlights. Also the rear bumper and trailer hitch. Both of the rear bumper gussets snapped almost clean off, so I want to wait until the front bumper glue dries completely before attaching the rear. I am undecided on the hub caps. I would like the white if they were the cake-pan style, but white doesn't suit the domed ones very well?

Edit: I think this kit could benefit from an extra set of box mounts at the very back. There is a lot of frame flex when the model is handled after assembly.

IMG_3440.JPG

IMG_3441.JPG

IMG_3443.JPG

IMG_3444.JPG

Edited by NOBLNG
Add

This one is pretty much done. I have not glued the hubcaps yet, as I want to try making a new set closer to factory. I sanded the side emblems down quite a bit since they were about 1-1/4" thick in scale.

IMG_3474.JPG

IMG_3452.JPG

• 5 weeks later...