Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question about Motor Max '58 Impala

ranma

Did motor max get part of the dies to make from Danbury mint for their 58 Impala? or made their dies from one of DM's 58's ? The reason I ask this is that under the hood the shaft and hook ends of posiable  steering  in the engine room. Plus the trunk also opens on the Motor max '58 impala as well. Anyone know anything about this diecast? Also the copy I bought is the same color blue with dark blue interior like the Danbury mint copy

chevrolet-impala-1958-124-motor-max-colec-premiun-D_NQ_NP_514811-MLA20639628526_032016-F.jpg

Danbury '58.jpg

Dave, I think you maybe right about being cloned as the chrome side moldings are cast on the Motor max copy. My plan is to take it apart, and add "carpeting" to the interior. I also will go over the "chrome strips with a Molotow marker!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this is old, but I've started buying 'mint" models and I have an old AMT of this one in my stash unbuilt.   Reallly liking the Mint things, but thinking I may BUILD my plastic kits of this one.   Has anyone tried mixing the two?  To get the correct AMT body with the details from the mint model?   Just occurred to me that the AMT is 1/25 and DM is 1/24 - so that's probably a no go.  

There is a DM on ebay missing some trim, but the sloping body line is kinda offputting.  And it's cheap.  Which somethimes means more to me than whether I really want it or not.    I really like the 58 and want to have a really nice one when complete.   Wish I had the entire GM line in 1/24.   Some of those were so far over the top...

Oh well, guess I'll wait and build my plastic.