Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ultimate Weekend Warrior 4X4 - Community Build

LouO

Although, I expected more interest. This thread will now serve to be the Official Ultimate Weekend Warrior 4X4 - Community Build thread.

Now a few words of wisdom...

While the goal is to achieve the Ultimate Weekend Warrior 4X4 and get you through your favorite "playgrounds" (mud, sand, rocks etc...); you also have to think of it as a real vehicle that must be street legal (no monster trucks, exhaust through the hood etc..) and capable of driving on a street/road on a daily basis (i.e work) the other 5 days week.

It must also be equipped with bumpers, head/tail lights and license plates and those other DOT items.

Build time begins immediately and ends @ midnight October 31st, 2018 (Halloween). A few weeks prior to the ending of the event I’ll start a completed builds thread, for posting pics of your builds, followed by another poll/thread for voting.

UPDATE...Two more things (Thank you Jantrix for reminding me to include this)...

You can enter this CBP at any time up to 48 hours before the end date.

This CBP will be limited to one model (entry) per member.

Please keep in mind I've never posted/hosted a Community Build so if any of you have ideas or thoughts - please speak up and post it here. Most of all I'm doing this just to have some fun.

Edited by LouO

15 hours ago, LouO said:

Please keep in mind I've never posted/hosted a Community Build so if any of you have ideas or thoughts - please speak up and post it here. Most of all I'm doing this just to have some fun.

That's the most important part. The best thing though you can do to make this a successful CBP, is to stay focused on the build yourself. If you keep posting up progress it will keep others inspired and involved.

Also make a note on the first post that someone could join in at any time, others will join us after being jogged creatively by our our work.

I've done a few of these, both successfully and not, so if I can help out, shoot me a PM.

I'm doing a 40 Ford Panel 4x4. I'll post up pics tomorrow.

Edited by Jantrix

8 hours ago, Jantrix said:

That's the most important part. The best thing though you can do to make this a successful CBP, is to stay focused on the build yourself. If you keep posting up progress it will keep others inspired and involved.

Also make a note on the first post that someone could join in at any time, others will join us after being jogged creatively by our our work.

I've done a few of these, both successfully and not, so if I can help out, shoot me a PM.

I'm doing a 40 Ford Panel 4x4. I'll post up pics tomorrow.

Two more things (Thank you Jantrix for reminding me to include this)...

You can enter this CBP at any time up to 48 hours before the end date.

This CBP will be limited to one model (entry) per member.

Here it is folks, fresh from the mailbox. I know it's just the Snow Plow kit with an added gunrack, camouflage decals and bigger wheels and tires... but it's got a gunrack, camo decals and bigger wheels and tires :)

image000000.jpg.e36b7666e4ddd3dc6834781dd3b76600.jpg

Okay, this my first major update for this build and I wanted to explain a bit about my design philosophy. 

First, a weekend warrior is someone who is usually ballin' on a budget so I didn't want to use a collectible vehicle or something with hard to find parts as a base. This should ideally be something you can bash around without feeling bad about a few dents and dings. You can't get much more ubiquitous than a square body GM truck. It also meant that the truck would likely be a Jack of a trades type instead of a dedicated rock crawler or mud buggy. Something you can have fun in in lots of different types of locations but might not be the best for each situation.

Second, the vehicle should already have decent components for inexpensive modification. This ruled out similar era Ford products due to the TTB front end. GM's solid axle front is a much better platform for modification. I had intended to run the standard five lug wheels to indicate the stock Dana 44 and 12 bolt but I couldn't find five lug rims that fit the tires good enough. With all  the weight I've added to the rear it probably does need upgraded axles now.

Third, since the truck needed to be a daily driver recoverability and survivability are important. Getting back to go to work Monday is a big part of this things job. I put a storage bin on the driver's side for tools and recovery items and the jerrycans will hold different fluids that might get lost on the trail. I took off the stock fuel tanks and replaced them with a bed mounted tank under the roll bar. The welding machine on the passenger side will let you fix any busted pieces and let you get back on the trail.

20180417_200947.thumb.jpg.baf434724fe90644f6a1792e97c1073c.jpg20180417_200845.thumb.jpg.8fc702cd0e00ac44a024150fa49a87aa.jpg20180417_200809.thumb.jpg.d0dc20ec0b11727d108f6d51d95f9090.jpg20180417_200717.thumb.jpg.c256d7edc7ddd6d3a27b6f1eef1f535c.jpg20180417_201049.thumb.jpg.0ae91a029a1e7712f06c5d4994056e44.jpg

8 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Man, how do you guys find the time to jump on these builds so quickly?

I'm at least two community builds behind!

lolz

This just started at the right time for me when my bench was clear. I just finished the L9000 and custom Caddy so all I had going on was the CBR Mustang but I'm still waiting on a second set of bigger wheels for that. I was kind of stalled when this was posted so I was able to jump right in.