Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beard Bib/Parts Catcher

I saw this on Shark Tank a while back and thought it was a great idea.  While I do have a mustache, I saw another use for it...

Ever lose that tiny but oh so important part to the vast reaches of the carpet gremlins?  That's right...a parts catcher!  Goes around the neck and secured with Velcro and it come with suction cup hooks that you would normally attach to the mirror but you can use your imagination on how to secure that side.

You can find it all over the place for anywhere from $5 to $15. comes in white or black

image.png.f5a3619c4a9de5ce2a1bebb42852bc24.png

Edited by BDSchindler

My neighbor made me an apron (I provided the fabric) with a strip of Velcro sewn onto the bottom edge. I have the other part of (self-adhesive) Velcro stuck under my workbench. Works like a charm, except when sometimes I decide not to wear it while working and then I almost always drop something on the floor! Still haven't learned to make sure to always wear it!

Jewelers/watch-makers have been using this type of apron for many, many years. The beard thing looks usable, but to me it is too tight around the neck to be comfortable for long periods of time.  Aprons have much looser fit around the neck.

I build models with as few tools as I can. I know builders who have 7 Exacto knives, a dehydrator that he never used, three or four pin vises, three or four air-brushes,etc. What's the sense in having all those tools? I don't need to be "Toolman Tim." In the 60's we had very few tools and aftermarket parts and we did just fine building models.

8 hours ago, High octane said:

I build models with as few tools as I can. I know builders who have 7 Exacto knives, a dehydrator that he never used, three or four pin vises, three or four air-brushes,etc. What's the sense in having all those tools? I don't need to be "Toolman Tim." In the 60's we had very few tools and aftermarket parts and we did just fine building models.

Good for you!  But this is not about tools - it is about preventing the small parts falling down into the "floor abyss" or being eaten by the "carpet monster".  You know, those tiny parts you accidental drop on the floor, never to be found again.

On 4/12/2018 at 12:45 AM, peteski said:

Good for you!  But this is not about tools - it is about preventing the small parts falling down into the "floor abyss" or being eaten by the "carpet monster".  You know, those tiny parts you accidental drop on the floor, never to be found again.

here is a shortened version of a multiple days long hunt. 

I had a plastic statue of darth maul that i bought, and his head was messed up. the manufacturer sent me a new head, which ended up being worse. i ended up sending the whole statue back for a replacement but for the life of me i couldnt find the darth maul head. i tore apart every room in my apartment looking everywhere for 2 days. ended up never finding it, thankfully they didnt ask for it back

yesterday i was working on a model and a wheel fell out of my hand. it was missing for like 30 minutes. i tore apart my entire area trying to find it. i turned to my wife and said, i think i have another darth maul head situation happening. she cracked up. i found the wheel like 10 feet from my work area, seems it fell and rolled pretty far (or my cat tossed it a couple of times, either is possible)

This would save me a lot of grief. 

Edited by youpey

17 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Hmmmmm. Maybe I can just fiberglass my beard into a cup-shape that will extend in front of me a couple of feet...after I grow it out a little longer.

Hairspray might be easier to apply, and infinitely easier to remove.

On 4/18/2018 at 3:13 PM, crazyjim said:

Seems to a pretty good idea, but then you'd miss the excitement of finding a lost part.

And interacting with the nice folks in the "wanted" section when you ask for a replacement. :D