Model Cars Magazine Forum

JDM Style Acura RSX Type S Tuner - Final Update - 06-04-18

Bernard Kron

This project represents a radical break from my usual fare of traditional hot rods, customs and drag racing subjects. I suspect that among those who know me this may come somewhat as a shock. So an explanation is in order. What would motivate me to build a tuner import? Well, to begin with I’ve always liked the concept and have admired many a well-turned-out ricer in my day. Back in the late 90’s when I was planning a streetable sports car for my driving pleasure I briefly considered a supercharged Series 1 MR2, but eventually built a hopped up Frogeye Sprite complete with tilt nose, 1380 cc motor and 5-speed instead. In a sense that was a kind of retro rice rocket in its way.

So anyway, at this year’s NNL West I fell for an Aoshima Pagani Huayra. Once I had time to contemplate that highly detailed and totally contemporary kit I realized this was a style of build that I would have to work up to. I’ve always loved sports cars and road racers but as kits these “moderns” are engineered quite differently from my usual diet of ancient 60’s era AMT, Monogram and Revell kits. I wondered if I might have something contemporary in my stash that I could use to hone my skills. It turned out that I had a Revell Acura RSX Type S tuner kit in stash which I had won as a door prize many moons ago at an IPMS show. It’s actual an extremely well-engineered and thoroughly modern kit, with lots of tuner bodywork options and many of quite highly detailed. Not really in the same league as the mega-parts-count Aoshima Pagani, but the basic approach is fairly similar. I thought it would a good start in getting into this style of modeling.

Of course I couldn’t resist making some changes to the bodywork much as I would have with one of my -hot rod projects. In this case I filled the v-shaped indentation on one of the 2 tuner-style custom noses that come in the kit (red area in the picture below), and also cut out the filled in grilled opening and installed some mesh to allow the radiator to show through. The radiator itself is finished in aluminum paint and a home –made decal of an ARC Brazing, Ltd. logo (they make radiators, intercoolers, intakes and exhausts for the tuner and drift world).

Other than that the build is largely out-of-the box. The body is painted in Duplicolor Toreador Red Metallic paint with the rear wing and stock hood finished in home-made carbon fiber decals which include decorative decal motifs. The rear wing repeats the ARC logo and on the front I repeat the sponsor decals arrayed across the leading edge of the doors along with a dragon figure and the phrase “Tao of Acura RSX” in kanji characters. The various silver JDM style hop up parts logos on the bodywork are from a Hobby Design JDM sheet I bought. The quality is absolutely first rate. Everything is sealed under Duplicolor Clear, and once it’s properly cured I will give it a good polish.

bodywork_summary_web.jpg

The interior is straight from the kit and detailed out in red pseudo leatherette (Testors Flat Red Acrylic) and matte black (Duplicolor Black Primer). The same is true of the motor which is detailed out in various shades of Testors Metalizers. The wheels one of the two kit optional tuner wheel sets, finished in Testors Metalizer Brass.

interior_and_mechanicals_summary.jpg

Still left to do is the glass work, which on these modern cars requires a good deal of detailing, and then final assembly.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanks Ashley. I've expected a pretty low-key response to this sort of project, and I haven't been wrong. I think it's because because this style of car is well past the first bloom of its fad. But there have been some mighty fine machines done this way over the years and I've long wanted to try my hand at it. We'll see how it goes, but so far it's great fun...

Tamiya and  other high-quality, complex plastic kits have been in my cross hairs for quite a while. The Pagani is, for now,  a long ways away in my build stack. I've got some older era sports car builds to get done to a high enough standard to justify the challenges the Huayra kit will offer. Among them are some Hasegawa and Revell of Germany models, but as of now I haven;t got any Tamiya kits in my stash, nor do I have as elaborate a kit as the Aoshima with all its opening doors and pivoting panels. Yikes!  And somehow in the midst of this changeover in subject matter I've still got some rods and kustoms that need to be modeled...

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2018 at 5:20 AM, Dann Tier said:

Pretty BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH sweet!!!

On 4/15/2018 at 7:57 AM, Funkychiken said:

Well I love this kind of kit, it's right up my street, and it's a great build so far!

On 4/16/2018 at 6:20 AM, Randy D said:

Never thought I would see the day !!!!  Love the build my friend :)

Randy

Thanks everyone! Now I'm playing in your field. It really is different for me...

This project is now completed! Lots of new things to watch out for, like cleanly gluing surface mounted windows and trimming them out with their black surrounds – basic stuff for modern cars but a brave new world for this modeler whose subjects have never seen the far side of the 1960’s! This kit was well ,engineered and the parts fit excellent so there were no technical challenges that weren’t inherent in the way contemporary cars go together. I had thought about modifying the stance but the way the suspension was constructed in this kit gave me pause – it was unfamiliar territory and I thought I’d wait for another swing at a contemporary car before I start fooling around with stance.

Overall an uneventful and interesting build working in a subject area that, when it comes to doing things in scale, was a brave new world for me.

Below is a summary photo showing the final details as they appear on the completed model. I’ll post the final beauty pics Under Glass in the next day or so.

As always, thanks to all who followed along…

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Final_Details_Summary_Web.jpg