Model Cars Magazine Forum

Menard's paint color?

bbowser

1 hour ago, bbowser said:

I want to replicate my new favorite "young gun" driver Ryan Blaney's #12.  Any suggestions on a spray bomb color to approximate the eye-searing yellow on the Menard's car?  I believe Stoney has decals for this.

Bruce, I got ya covered buddy,  couple of things,  you can use this ,  I am going to use Testor's for mine, just so I can air brush it on.

I am using the Powersilde sheet that is going to be on sale next week.

29598240_875555929318697_4579684069607698843_n.jpg

The Menard's cars have traditionally been more of a chartreuse instead of a neon yellow.  I will see this car in May and will know for certain, but based on what I have seen in the past, chartreuse is the way I would go.

1 hour ago, Jim N said:

The Menard's cars have traditionally been more of a chartreuse instead of a neon yellow.  I will see this car in May and will know for certain, but based on what I have seen in the past, chartreuse is the way I would go.

Its very much a day-glo/Florescent paint ,  charteuse is close, but it doenst have that glo to it,  I think this is the best example of the color of the wrap they use, no sun

_u-KNO1lHr3YbajoG-OaqQmN0s9aM6PdTygd_4eDxps.png

Edited by martinfan5

2 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Its very much a day-glo/Florescent paint ,  charteuse is close, but it doenst have that glo to it,  I think this is the best example of the color of the wrap they use, no sun

Ha!  Must have been at Martinsville!

21 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

My comment was not as precise as it should have been.  When I suggested chartreuse for the color, I should have suggested that it would be neon or florescent chartreuse.

This is one I built many years ago and is the color I believe the Menard's are.

image.png.47bbe6ddf17100889e92b554a39ecc96.png

2 hours ago, Jim N said:

My comment was not as precise as it should have been.  When I suggested chartreuse for the color, I should have suggested that it would be neon or florescent chartreuse.

This is one I built many years ago and is the color I believe the Menard's are.

image.png.47bbe6ddf17100889e92b554a39ecc96.png

I think we are on the same page now,  what paint did you use for that?

One point about painting using neon colors - I have only painted with a neon paint once, and it was a store-brand neon yellow.  The paint didn't have a lot of pigment, and even though I put it over a white base (you must use white), any tiny imperfections showed through.  I don't know if that is just a "feature" of neon paint, but be sure to have a very nice, smooth, unmarred base just to be safe.  

The attached pic is of the build, and in real life it is pretty eye-searing.  I wasn't  a very good model photographer back when I took this.

IMG_0450 - Copy.JPG

• 1 month later...

A few more options to get the correct shade for this one

House Of Kolor Neon Chartreuse, in the 2oz hobby bottle, you can them on Ebay, I just order one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/House-Of-Kolor-Neon-Chartreuse-HE113/263445219971?hash=item3d568f0a83:g:nuQAAOSwYDZaYM-F

Pactra fluorescent yellow( it has a green tint to it) 

Tamiya Neon Yellow, I believe its PS27, Ive heard it has a green tint to it as well.

MCW Paints has Menard's Yellow

Edited by martinfan5