Model Cars Magazine Forum

Box Stock Accurate Miniatures Grand Sport Corvette

Hooked on Chaparral

On 4/17/2018 at 5:04 PM, vamach1 said:

Nice job.  Here are pics from the Simeone museum.

IMG_2132.JPG

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2148.JPG

So is the Wintersteen car set up to look like an actual race car?   The Wintersteen body should be the ORIGINAL GS body for the blue Roadster.  See http://www.racingicons.com/gs/gs002.htm.  I used this site when building my GS models for reference.  They preserved the original body because of it's historical significance.

I love these cars - between this and the Cobra Daytona, they are my favorite race cars of all times.  Built in a time when it was raacers trying whatever they could to make cars go fast.  THe Daytona got it's body because of the aero issues of hte roadster and the Chevy guys lopped the top off the coupe to deal with aero issues of the Coupe.  Didn't work for the Corvette.   Still had too much lift.  No factory support for the GS either, which left it as an orphan that had to race in a more difficult class mostly.   

OP's build is so sweet as well.  Wish mine had turned out that nice.  

Thank You EVERYONE who've commented like I mentioned earlier in the post it was a bear to complete the original stance was way too high, and as nice as everything was engineering wise A LOT of fit issues also to resolve. i bought the GRAND SPORT book by Lowell Paddock and Dave Friedman for reference, I knew nothing of these cars at the time, the Accurate Miniatures kit came out and I was hooked. I also had heard rumours that they had a Chaparral in the works before they ran into financial troubles. What could have been....  I have the McClaren kit in my maybe someday group of kits to be completed.

Edited by Hooked on Chaparral

Very nicely done, clean build with all the right detail.

I have a Revell and AM kit with the PE parts. I have been working on filling the chassis as you described. I wish they had molded the frame with the slots on top so they weren't as visible, but at least the rest of the kit is well made.

I'll be using your post for reference....