Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rereleased Chevy Impala SS

Ben

2 hours ago, Ben said:

Did Revell tool up new wheels for the Impala SS like their new box art shows or is it just the same old kit in a new misleading box?

You can see the box drawing shows the same Impala SS wheels the kit has always included. Are you seriously going to argue false advertising because the wheels *might* appear to have 1" more negative offset? :rolleyes:  Here's the instruction sheet if you legitimately want to check out the parts: http://manuals.hobbico.com/rmx/85-4480.pdf

16 minutes ago, espo said:

The new issue box art might be a 1:1 car, it looks like to me anyway.

Yep, they "borrowed" a picture of a real car off the interwebs and used it for the box art. There are more details in the main thread about the car.

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

Yep, they "borrowed" a picture of a real car off the interwebs and used it for the box art. There are more details in the main thread about the car.

Yeah the box "artist" simply airbrushed over a photo and didn't even bother to change the background. I miss the days when the model companies hire real artists to create original artwork for the boxes. The reason the box art car's wheels look different is because this was copied from a picture of a Callaway modified Impala, that used similar, but wider wheels. The kit has a stock 1994 Impala SS in it rather than the Modified 96 Impala pictured.

Not accusing of false advertising (even though it is any way you want to justify it) Just tired of misleading box art. They had the regular art from previous issues, no reason to use the better looking version except to sell kits to people expecting exactly what’s on the box top. If the car didn’t look completely different, I wouldn’t have noticed. If the kit did look like the new box art, I’d buy it. If it’s the same old kit, I already have two. 

3 hours ago, Darin Bastedo said:

Yeah the box "artist" simply airbrushed over a photo and didn't even bother to change the background. I miss the days when the model companies hire real artists to create original artwork for the boxes. The reason the box art car's wheels look different is because this was copied from a picture of a Callaway modified Impala, that used similar, but wider wheels. The kit has a stock 1994 Impala SS in it rather than the Modified 96 Impala pictured.

So then in theory, what should be in the box is a Calloway Impala SS. Am I right or wrong? If you picked up a Mustang kit that showed a GT500 on the box art and inside was a plain ol six cylinder mustang, that would be misleading box art even though they’re technically the same car.

You honestly thought Revell was going to tool up four brand new wheels and wheel backs with a 1" scale difference in offset, just to match a drawing on the box lid? That's ridiculous.

Had you looked at something other than the box top, like say, oh, I don't know, one of the other four sides, you would have gotten your answer within a few seconds:

impss.jpg.8e71d7c8f34bdbb504479698af3fef1f.jpg

Funny how everyone on here complains about every tiny incorrect detail on a kit, like the roof on the Mustang LX but when I state something, obvious I’m crazy. The car on the box top isn’t what’s inside, plain and simple! I don’t care what’s on the sides. If it’s just a stock, factory Impala SS then put that on the box top. Pretty simple! The same people here justifying the box art will be the same to complain about everything when a new kit isn’t perfect!

1 hour ago, Casey said:

You honestly thought Revell was going to tool up four brand new wheels and wheel backs with a 1" scale difference in offset, just to match a drawing on the box lid? That's ridiculous.

Had you looked at something other than the box top, like say, oh, I don't know, one of the other four sides, you would have gotten your answer within a few seconds:

impss.jpg.8e71d7c8f34bdbb504479698af3fef1f.jpg

I don't think anybody expects them to retool the kit to match the illustration, but is it too much to ask that they hire an artist who;

A.) Knows the subject matter and can tell a 94 Impala from a 96 Impala.

B.) Has the talent to create an original artwork, rather than painting over somebody else' photograph, and claim it's his own work. This is an exact tracing of a David Freers Photo from Motor Trend. .http://www.motortrend.com/news/callaway-impala-ss-road-test/

Would it have really been that hard for the artist to track down a 94 Impala, photograph it and then draw it?

What upsets me most about every re-issue of this kit is the suspension. They used the Caprice suspension when the Impala is about 2 inches lower. The optional "lowered"  suspension they included in the lowrider version is closer to the stock Impala ride height.

Edited by avidinha

At least they didnt use this box art again. The 5 spokes are not included !

5bb7cd9231d5f44ce4eb38e6c5032b52.jpg.b4037e7a04353178f9da5210ce2304a0.jpg

I used to have a 96 Caprice 9c1 clone, SS's are real rare here in the UK.

I found the correct 96 mirrors on a Caprice die cast, that I sold (& wished I hadnt). Be real good if somebody cast them in resin.

It's a pretty easy fix to modify this to a 95-96'. A few suspension tweeks, a small fill and sand on the back C pillar windows, and a new housing for the rear view mirrors. All in all maybe 30 minutes of work....glad this kit made it back...for however long that will be given the sale/new ownership of the company.

Jeff

Edited by jefropas

On 4/14/2018 at 11:33 PM, Ben said:

Funny how everyone on here complains about every tiny incorrect detail on a kit, like the roof on the Mustang LX but when I state something, obvious I’m crazy. The car on the box top isn’t what’s inside, plain and simple! I don’t care what’s on the sides. If it’s just a stock, factory Impala SS then put that on the box top. Pretty simple! The same people here justifying the box art will be the same to complain about everything when a new kit isn’t perfect!

Ben , you bring to mind why I became soooo disenchanted with this forum as well as the Scrap Auto site and several Pro-board forums I just left . I'm doing a Three story Queen Anne residence that was deeded over to a church about 1900. With that said , I am purposelessly having to take "Artistic license" because of the minute details in some instances just aren't going to be feasible to duplicate in scale .  Mean while , the "Armchair " engineers here have nothing to do but criticize instead of applying for work as mold makers .......

Thank you for KEEPIN IT REAL !!!!!

You guys may like getting fooled on packaging but I don’t! As stated above, I bought those MR2 and Ford pickup kits specifically for the BBS wheels and they’re not in either kit! They do exist, I’ve seen them. You guys are dumbing it down! If I sold you a Corvette kit and in the box was was a Chevette kit, that would be wrong, right!? There’s a thing called truth in advertising! No matter how you want to justify it, Revell had no right putting those pictures on the boxes if that’s not what’s inside! You might settle for good enough, I don’t!