Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some White-Freightliner/Freightliner Cabover Pictures

One of my favorite details on these Freightliner cabovers would definitely be the color keyed steering wheels. I've always loved the red diamond interior with red flake steering wheel. (Just needs a red Roadway knob and you're set!) I noticed the blue truck with the tan interior has a brakesaver retarder. Was this a Cat thing? That's what engine both of these trucks at the auction had, but only one had the brakesaver. The tan and blue truck (blue mule) and the blue interior truck were both part of a local construction company here in Fort Pierre. The company is called A.G.E. and they are still going strong with nearly every piece of equipment being 40 years old.

fiirst, thank you for posting the reference pictures - there is a lot of good information in them.  I kinda dig those metalflake steering wheels as well.  Red was a good combination. The green combination was pretty awful with avocado upholstery and a bright green steering wheel - it was the '70's.

Brakesaver was a Caterpillar hydraulic retarder located on the back of the engine - a very complex, expensive, and rare option that basically did the same function as a Jake Brake on a Detroit Diesel.  I'm going to have to leave the details to the internet.  The story I was told was that Detroit Diesel had the patents locked up for the Jacobs Compression Brake.  Eventually Jake Brakes became available for Cummins and Caterpillar engines. 

Here is a diagram for the brakesaver oil routing.  The oil in the Brakesaver was routed thru the oil cooler on the engine which dumped it's heat into the cooling system so the radiator had to be larger to take the heat away.  The hydraulic brake added four inches to the rear of the engine.  Caterpillar engines were considered the premium option and a Brakesaver was a premium on top of that.  The Caterpillar Brakesaver had significantly greater retarding power than a Jake Brake but the exact number has escaped my memory. 

See the source image

Edited by Muncie

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:50 PM, TheSDTrucker said:

That is certainly an interesting system. I've only ever seen this one in my life. Would it be worth much if the truck had it? Or is it now just an unnecessary added expense?

In the day when these trucks were new...  The drivers who wanted a brakesaver paid big money and swore by them.  Now... with the big cost to repair one and the difficulty to find parts for a nearly 50 year old system, I think the owner would swear at it. 

Edited by Muncie

On 4/19/2018 at 2:54 AM, mustang1989 said:

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!!!!!!! Good Lord Brenden!!! You......................................are DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!

Haha, I hoped to help people by posting these. They're certainly helping me out, do that's why I shared them. No need to keep good pictures like these a secret

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...