Model Cars Magazine Forum

58 Impala custom-the way it was done in the 60's

pack rat

Dusting off some old kits and decided to take some fresh pics of an old favorite.

Years ago, after looking through some vintage Rod & Custom mags, and inspired by customs like the Alexander Brothers' Golden Indian, I dug up an old '58 Impala that I had built as a 1/4 miler and decided to do my own 60's-style radical custom.  

Just some scrap plastic, a whole bunch of putty, (I had to repair the hogged-out rear wheel openings as well) and parts from at least a dozen kits in there somewhere-all vintage (I believe the newest parts are the '67 Camaro custom bucket seats).  The only thing that takes it out of the 60's is the Bare Metal foil.  The paint is good old Testors sapphire blue (my first airbrush paint job ever).

It's strictly a shelf model; it rides on an old wire-axle annual chassis and is powered by an early-60's AMT Pontiac 389 with no wiring, plumbing etc.   

It looks better in the pics than it does in person; the paint is so-so, some of the bodywork has distorted with age, and if I did it over again I would try to come up with a better front end treatment, and a less-severe top chop (I took a little too much off of the A-pillars).

I had a lot of fun with it though......enough that I decided to paint a Revell Harley as a companion piece.       

z58 imp 1.JPG

z58 imp 1b.JPG

z58 imp 2.JPG

z58 imp 3.JPG

z58 imp 3a.JPG

z58 imp 4.JPG

z58 imp 5.JPG

Edited by pack rat
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, oneescalante said:

Its killer!

The interior is outrageous...

Is that a roof mounted 3rd brake light?

Just missing the outside mirrors and license plate ;)

Thanks

The roof scoop is just that...a scoop.  It's the scoop from the kit; later issues of the kit call it a hood scoop, but in the original issue it was meant to go right where you see it.

I didn't want o/s mirrors; disturbs the smooth look (it's a showboat after all) , and they would have fallen off a dozen times by now.

The license plate?.....I thought of that too late when I did the bodywork.  I should have cut a shadow-box style mount into the trunklid.