Model Cars Magazine Forum

Great Amber Paint

If you use Testor/Model Master Turn Signal Amber, you know it needs a basecoat of some kind to look good, even on chrome. I've used flat white, yellow, and orange, depending mostly on what was handy at the moment. Now I've found something that's even better. Apple Barrel matte acrylic Apricot,  #20764E. It brushed nicely, laid down on gloss enamel, and covered well. Turn Signal Amber then brushed right over it (when dry of course) no problem, and looks great. I think I paid 50c for it at Walmart (crafts section), and the 2-oz bottle should be a lifetime investment. Good stuff!

ETA: I paid 97 cents, not 50. 

Edited by Snake45

This is what I used because I have it. The amber itself is too yellow. I put a little of each in a bottle cap and keep dragging a little orange into the mix until it looks right. The apricot would be a lot cheaper if you don't already have other stuff.

IMG_3401.JPG

• 6 months later...

Anyone paint the high beams on a quad headlight set with clear yellow????..... ?

Please post pics of what you have.... Thanks!

Here's a pic I took at the Woodward cruise of a '70 SS and '69 BOSS pony.....

20140817_095145.jpg

IMG_20160821_145048.jpg

Edited by Deuces

4 hours ago, Deuces said:

Anyone paint the high beams on a quad headlight set with clear yellow????..... ?

Not deliberately, no. But 50 years ago I painted the chrome headlights of this '66 Skylark with several coats of Pactra Clear and today they're pretty much amber. :lol:

66SkylarkOld.jpg.7eb65ef615d1aef13cf5b51b90ed3e1a.jpg

I have seen clear yellow headlights on some customized American cars. Yellow headlights are very popular (or maybe even mandated) in France.  And of course, before driving lights were popular in cars I had a pair of yellow fog-lights installed on my Camaro (in the '80s).  Fog-lights were yellow while driving-lights were clear.

Edited by peteski

• 2 weeks later...