Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari FXX-K, Tamiya, 1/24

Matt Bacon

A fantastic kit from Tamiya, with the as-expected stellar fit and engineering. I made it more difficult for myself with Tamiya's own etch update set and carbon decals, and lots of coloured wiring. This is one kit where you absolutely DO have to follow the instructions... all of them.

fxxk-low-front-left-corner-fast.jpg

fxxk-higher-front-left-sleek.jpg

fxxk-left-profile-sleek.jpg

fxxk-low-front-right-corner.jpg

fxxk-low-front-right-corner-sleek.jpg

fxxk-rear-left-corner-sleek.jpg

fxxk-opened-up-high-rear-left.jpg

fxxk-rear-right-corner-sleek.jpg

fxxk-opened-up-rear-view-hero-2.jpg

Paint is Tamiya TS-86 Mica Red over metallic gold. Those silver decals are challenging. Don't use any decal solvent on them and they stay tough as well as thin and flexible. Getting them INTO the scoops on the engine cover rear is no fun at all. You can probably see I also messed up one of the rear tire decals. I think they should give you one spare for newbies to the weird method of laying them down to stuff up before doing the real thing!

Still, one of the very best kits I have ever built. Now for something simpler ;-P

best,

M.

Thanks, guys!!! Much appreciated...

@Dann Tier much as I would love to take credit for sophisticated weathering, that’s just the normally entirely invisible carrier film catching the lighting in the photo booth! It was only after I’d done the front spoiler that I realised I needed to trim every carbon piece at the edge of the black area to get it to fit successfully...

Also, as I mentioned, the metal decals are brilliant up to a point, and fragile beyond it... don’t bend any too sharply as you’re cutting out other bits. And also take careful note of the decal numbers on both the carbon and metal sheets. The layout kinda mimics the car but with some “gotchas”, like the rear duct decals sitting alongside the front clam striping while the front fender panels are with the rear window outline.

My hard-earned advice would be to use some of the “spare” carbon or metal decal that Tamiya thoughtfully provide to get a handle on how both behave before using them in anger, rather than for patching up afterwards!

bestest,

M.

13 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

Thanks, guys!!! Much appreciated...

@Dann Tier much as I would love to take credit for sophisticated weathering, that’s just the normally entirely invisible carrier film catching the lighting in the photo booth! It was only after I’d done the front spoiler that I realised I needed to trim every carbon piece at the edge of the black area to get it to fit successfully...

Also, as I mentioned, the metal decals are brilliant up to a point, and fragile beyond it... don’t bend any too sharply as you’re cutting out other bits. And also take careful note of the decal numbers on both the carbon and metal sheets. The layout kinda mimics the car but with some “gotchas”, like the rear duct decals sitting alongside the front clam striping while the front fender panels are with the rear window outline.

My hard-earned advice would be to use some of the “spare” carbon or metal decal that Tamiya thoughtfully provide to get a handle on how both behave before using them in anger, rather than for patching up afterwards!

bestest,

M.

Still, in the photos, it looks more realistic than most! I find that sometimes things happen that we didn't want, or intend, but somehow make things actually look more realistic!......nothing in this world is perfect!...love your Ferrari!!!

Thanks very much indeed, guys... your positive feedback is much appreciated! Two questions to tackle now....

1) How should I display it? All doors open, no doors open, or somewhere in between?

2) What next? I'm kinda liking the 330P4, 'cos it looks supercool, and somewhat like the FXX-K; or an SLS G3, 'cos it's SOOOO much simpler; or a SAAB Draken, 'cos i just acquired the sweetest Eduard kit of the beast; or a HondaJet, 'cos I can use up some more of that zingy red over gold from the decanted jars by the airbrush booth....

Choices, choices...

best,

M.

• 6 months later...