Model Cars Magazine Forum

'82 MPC War Horse kit revue

1 hour ago, Pete L. said:

Thanks very much for the review, very thorough and informative !

Well, thanx for that. It is going to be my next build, It kinda sux about the tire rot . 

Found another one on eBay so will have extra parts. 

13 hours ago, milo1303s said:

pics my friend pics can't always watch these videos

It's MOVING pictures, very new technology:wacko:

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:32 AM, Casey said:

I'm a bit surprised Round2 hasn't reissued this kit yet, especially since it was run as a special issue in 2006:

MPCOGMultiMaverick.jpg.bdda594c5bf8c8d7b8c2c4cd556eb7c5.jpg

MPCOGMultiMaverickside.jpg.9b1bcd01125aba232645697e956871cc.jpg

Nice kit, although a difficult build. Had to delete that hidious long hood scoop, added a Jolly Roger Maverick FC hood and scratch built blower guard. Rebuilt and tried to correct the roll cage. Swapped blower scoop for the original look. The rest I could live with.

P1060186.JPG

Edited by magicmustang

Here is an excerpt from a Hot Rod magazine interview w/George Montgomery where he 

talks about the car.

"ET: Around 1970 you introduced a novel Maverick-based race car with an adjustable wheelbase. How did this car come to be and was it successful?
OG: That was the “Multi-Maverick.” The idea was to be able to run the car as an altered or a gasser depending on where the front axle centerline was set. I had plans to run it in match races and also as a class-legal car. The truth is, I didn’t build the car, and I only drove it one time during a test session at a rented track. The Multi-Maverick came about partly because the 1⁄25-scale plastic model car kit companies (AMT rendered George’s ’33 Willys and MPC kitted the ’67 Malco gasser.–ed) wanted me to have a new car every year so they could sell the kits. So MPC had the Maverick built for me to my approximate specifications. The deal was they paid for it in lieu of any royalties I’d otherwise earn. It has all come full circle. There are amazingly detailed pre-assembled 1⁄18-scale die-cast replicas of my Willys and the Malco gasser Mustang you can buy new at the hobby shop today or directly from me at OhioGeorge.com. I even autograph them."

To me its funny that MPC commissioned the build of the car and yet still screwed  up things in the kit.:)

Edited by STYRENE-SURFER

• 3 years later...
On 9/30/2018 at 3:43 AM, 1930fordpickup said:

Thanks for the information Kurt. 

I messed this Kit up when I was a kid. 

I’d love to know how this kit builds out. Looking at the instructions online, I’m skeptical about how well this kits builds and how it works as far as the changing features go after it’s built. I can find no built examples online. Which raises a lot of flags for me. 

Edited by unclescott58

26 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

I’d love to know how this kit builds out. Looking at the instructions online, I’m skeptical about how well this kits builds and how it works as far as the changing features go after it’s built. I can no built examples online. Which raises a lot of flags for me. 

I looked at my Multi-Maverick and can see how the front suspension can be adjusted. But, unless you're willing to look at the body with a seam showing in the side of the fender, it won't work. Even if you're willing to to accept the seam, the only way I see to do the fenders would be to glue them on with Elmers glue. Same with the front suspension. Then there's also getting the paint to match. Myself, I would choose one and go with it. 

I don't think the built model was intended to be switched back and forth after it was finished.  The idea was more likely to provide both versions.  Since Montgomery only tested the car and never actually raced it, this kit probably didn't sell nearly as well as the kits of his Willys and the two Mustangs.

As for kits coming out different from the 1:1 car, that seems to be more frequent than you'd expect.  The XR-6 kit got ahead of the real one.  George Barris' shop deviated from the blueprint and made the nose piece and fenders different; those were later changed.  The Deora got ahead too, the detail around the grille and headlamps differs between kit and 1:1.  The kit also has side glass that the real truck has never had, and some interior details differ too.

• 3 months later...
On 8/1/2022 at 2:31 PM, Mark said:

I don't think the built model was intended to be switched back and forth after it was finished.  The idea was more likely to provide both versions.  Since Montgomery only tested the car and never actually raced it, this kit probably didn't sell nearly as well as the kits of his Willys and the two Mustangs.

As for kits coming out different from the 1:1 car, that seems to be more frequent than you'd expect.  The XR-6 kit got ahead of the real one.  George Barris' shop deviated from the blueprint and made the nose piece and fenders different; those were later changed.  The Deora got ahead too, the detail around the grille and headlamps differs between kit and 1:1.  The kit also has side glass that the real truck has never had, and some interior details differ too.

Barris did very little in building the XR-6. LeRoi "Tex" Smith built the frame, running gear and suspension, as an ongoing magazine project car for Hot Rod. Steve Swaja designed the body, which Jack Hagemann and Gene Winfield made the aluminum panels for it. Barris' shop finessed it together, but his involvement was only dictated by AMT, as they partly funded construction of the car

Edited by garagepunk66
Grammatical