Model Cars Magazine Forum

2 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

They were indeed the first. Mr. Curtiss was quite wealthy and built the first Aerocar for his own personal use with no intentions of ever offering them to the public. Those who did buy them paid about 10 times what an average American car cost at the same time. A new Chevy was about$ 800.00 while and aArocar was $ 8,000.00.These did not have a steel frame. They were built from wooden oak lumber. The side uprights were tensioned together with steel aircraft cables tightened with eyebolts. The fabric for the exterior was called Fabricoid and was then painted as an attempt at waterproofing. Interior furniture was commonly made from wicker to keep the weight as low as possible. Obviously a lot of those details were based on the experience he had with building aircraft in that pioneering era.

Thanks for the information. They don't sound like they were very sturdy.   

23 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Here's another one from Tom Woodruff to "wet your whistle"

20210212_200052.png.f1126277962272a8bde1776c669894a7.png

20210212_200015.png.b44dcae2cfebd9bd9f5380e1d3f36875.png

I can't wait to see this one finished, Tom!

He also teased me with a caption on the tow vehicle (but no pics😯). I'll post them as soon as Tom sends them to me.

23 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Here's another one from Tom Woodruff to "wet your whistle"

20210212_200052.png.f1126277962272a8bde1776c669894a7.png

20210212_200015.png.b44dcae2cfebd9bd9f5380e1d3f36875.png

I can't wait to see this one finished, Tom!

He also teased me with a caption on the tow vehicle (but no pics😯). I'll post them as soon as Tom sends them to me.

20210216_212404.png.6725d2ed57e9706aba12442593200713.png

20210216_212436.png.2367e87938f0f536e4cd17bc12258072.png

20210216_212510.png.d439c3ff83fc92319cfdfdf85997a0c9.png

On 2/16/2021 at 11:33 AM, espo said:

Thanks for the information. They don't sound like they were very sturdy.   

You should know that Glenn Curtiss was using state of the art aircraft construction materials at this time. Most very early aircraft were made this same way. Remember his company was the one that built the Spirit Of St. Louis plane that Lindberg flew  across the Atlantic ocean. His company had plans to use this Aerocar concept to build commercial trucks for haul freight and bulk fuel. I have a huge file of their engineering drawings that are available on-line for those geeky enough to search for them.

Thanks Patrick. This was a three day quick build while solving some design issues on another project. The basic shape was done in styrene sheet and shape then covered with real cherry wood veneer. The lighter wooden parts are basswood. Exterior is satin varnished with acrylic Zip Guard. Wheel and tires are refugees from a classic car glue bomb. I have more tear drops to post as time allows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What Fun!  I've always had a fascination with metal trailers, and Deco Liners though they aren't in my line of builds.  Thanks for all the shares.  Here are a couple of inspirational subjects that have caught my fancy.  First is a trailer I saw at the LGS Historic races.  I don't really think it is a Bugatti buy who knows?

Bug Trailer 01.jpg

Bug Trailer 02.jpg

The puppet Rodeo was a gimmick for promoting Levi Jeans.  Initially installed for the Golden Gate International Exposition in 1939 it was later mounted in the van for a road tour.  Wooden puppets moved in sync with the recorded soundtrack.  Of course, they were wearing miniature Levi Jeans.  The puppets were lost over time, but a couple of pairs of the little jeans apparently survived.

https://www.levistrauss.com/2014/10/09/throwback-thursday-meet-me-at-the-fair/

(Image via Pinterest)

eea9db87a067448d1b33443eb6ab5d11.jpg

Edited by Brian Austin

On 4/29/2021 at 7:43 PM, Brian Austin said:

This is a fun thread.  I don't have one of my own to share at the moment, but I was reminded of an eBay listing from several years ago of a '40s salesman's sample model.  IIRC it was 1:24 scale or thereabouts.

90e0_3.jpg

849b_3.jpg

7258_3.jpg

8859_3.jpg

9540_3.jpg

6dd6_3.jpg

7afe_3.jpg

7f8a_3.jpg

8c92_3.jpg

76d1_3.jpg

That's cool! I've Never seen anything like that before in real life. Maybe the salesmen couldn't sell anything but the "samples". 😉

As I was posting, I was wondering if it was supposed to be more of a mobile home than a travel trailer.  It's a pity I didn't save the text of the auction to go along with the pictures for context.

Here's a fun historical look at the evolution of the mobile home.  Also note they point out the Pierce Arrow's Touring Landau trailer of 1910, with a gooseneck hitch.

https://mobilehomeliving.org/the-history-of-mobile-homes/

8 hours ago, Big John said:

It does have a hitch but that would you tow it with? Certainly not your average IH pickup, maybe a Chrysler Town and Country?

41 Chrysler Town & Country.jpg

Pretty sure it wasn't unusual in the 50s and 60s to use full size sedans and wagons to pull those rigs.

Has anyone ever seen the "Long, Long Trailer" with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz? They simply used a Mercury Convertible to pull it.

The-Long-Long-Trailer-17.png.29e75cd6b829dc785d406995ee33b543.png

Now that would be a cool project to build!

10 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Pretty sure it wasn't unusual in the 50s and 60s to use full size sedans and wagons to pull those rigs.

Has anyone ever seen the "Long, Long Trailer" with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz? They simply used a Mercury Convertible to pull it.

The-Long-Long-Trailer-17.png.29e75cd6b829dc785d406995ee33b543.png

Now that would be a cool project to build!

It towed it well & quickly...

22 hours ago, Big John said:

It does have a hitch but that would you tow it with? Certainly not your average IH pickup, maybe a Chrysler Town and Country?

41 Chrysler Town & Country.jpg

This style was known as a "barrel back". The wooden section above the rear bumper is divided into two halves,hinged on the outside edges. Those opened and swung outward allowing access to the interior. 

On 4/29/2021 at 9:45 PM, Big John said:

What Fun!  I've always had a fascination with metal trailers, and Deco Liners though they aren't in my line of builds.  Thanks for all the shares.  Here are a couple of inspirational subjects that have caught my fancy.  First is a trailer I saw at the LGS Historic races.  I don't really think it is a Bugatti buy who knows?

Bug Trailer 01.jpg

Bug Trailer 02.jpg

These appear to be Curtiss-Wright trailers from the early '30's. The entry doors were over the hitches for two reasons. The technology for opening the side sheet metal had not been developed yet even on longer units, and some like the one shown here were simpler too short.

3 hours ago, misterNNL said:

These appear to be Curtiss-Wright trailers from the early '30's. The entry doors were over the hitches for two reasons. The technology for opening the side sheet metal had not been developed yet even on longer units, and some like the one shown here were simpler too short.

Correction: a closer look at the photo and in particular the cover over the wheel and I spot the words "Bowuls Papoose ". That is a super rare trailer.