Model Cars Magazine Forum

It isn't that apparent from this angle but the front/door end is rounded too.  I thought that maybe the Bowuls Papoose was just a nickname for the trailer.  It was at the LGS historic races some years ago.  Thanks for the info Tom.

On 4/29/2021 at 10:43 PM, Brian Austin said:

This is a fun thread.  I don't have one of my own to share at the moment, but I was reminded of an eBay listing from several years ago of a '40s salesman's sample model.  IIRC it was 1:24 scale or thereabouts.

90e0_3.jpg

849b_3.jpg

7258_3.jpg

8859_3.jpg

9540_3.jpg

6dd6_3.jpg

7afe_3.jpg

7f8a_3.jpg

8c92_3.jpg

76d1_3.jpg

Man I love this one! I have a ton of respect for whoever created the model itself with all the slopes and rounded corners. Looking at the base I am guessing it is carved from wood much like a lot of the car models built for the old Fisher Body Craftsman Guild competitions of the 1960's.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Big John said:

Ah those were the good old days when nothing was very dangerous.  I believe it was sold in sheets not unlike the cement board today and all the fiber was bonded not loose. Good Eye!

In the era trailers like this were being built asbestos was not know as a dangerous substance. I remember my family having a 4 ft square asbestos pad on our living room floor in front of our coal burning stove. It was there in case a spark flew out onto the floor when my dad was adding fire wood.

I owned a teardrop trailer about 1980. It was very old at the time and had no manufacturer Mark so we assumed it was built by a very skilled owner.

Mine had the kitchenette at the rear as shown but only had a propane stove with two burners. No oven. It had a sink and a few cabinets, all fashioned from aluminum. 

Interior detail wise, the entire floor was one large mattress. At the head was a doorless closet with a single bar for hangers. It wasn’t deep at all, the hangers had to be sideways.

The water tank was at your feet.  Mine had a door with screened window on either side and a screened roof vent.  Behind the doors was a single deep shelf for supplies and such occupying the space above your legs as you lied down.  

8C3B2B5A-0F85-45C5-A1FA-B89B72F267FD.jpeg

And a Cuda with wicked hood scoops!  The only time I got to camp in a teardrop I was 3 or 4 and we went to Sequoia N.P. Mom and I had to shelter inside during a thunder storm and she had me draw this picture.  The plans look like something you would find in Popular Mechanics so I expect most of them you see on the road would be home made.  Thanks for sharing!

Teardrop in the Rain.jpg