Model Cars Magazine Forum

1 hour ago, Paul Payne said:

Tom, any chance you have a picture of what you  started with? That little gem is really inspirational- still another project to put on the list!

Sorry Paul I"had" WIP pix of it under construction they were accidently deleted in a moment of fat fingered  stupidity. I really wish I still had those to share with you all.

6 minutes ago, AZPartsLocators said:

I found a picture of one. No side view though

bakelite.jpeg

Very cool what Tom started with. I have a laser pointer / PowerPoint slide advancer tool that is the perfect shape for a roadster trunk!  Unfortunately it’s worth $30. But the moment it stops working...

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Very cool what Tom started with. I have a laser pointer / PowerPoint slide advancer tool that is the perfect shape for a roadster trunk!  Unfortunately it’s worth $30. But the moment it stops working...

Except for the color,that's exactly what I started with. Mine was a dark brown color. Thanks for posting this photo!What did you seats for to find that image?

Edited by misterNNL

9 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

So what you're saying is that advancer tool costs about the same as new kit?

7 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Here's another one from Tom Woodruff to "wet your whistle"

20210212_200052.png.f1126277962272a8bde1776c669894a7.png

20210212_200015.png.b44dcae2cfebd9bd9f5380e1d3f36875.png

I can't wait to see this one finished, Tom!

He also teased me with a caption on the tow vehicle (but no pics😯). I'll post them as soon as Tom sends them to me.

This is my replica of a 24 ' Curtiss-Wright Aerocar WIP.

9 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Here's another one from Tom Woodruff to "wet your whistle"

20210212_200052.png.f1126277962272a8bde1776c669894a7.png

20210212_200015.png.b44dcae2cfebd9bd9f5380e1d3f36875.png

I can't wait to see this one finished, Tom!

He also teased me with a caption on the tow vehicle (but no pics😯). I'll post them as soon as Tom sends them to me.

This is really interesting looking.  I have onlt seen a few old black & white photos of these and considering the time when it was built it seemed very advanced. This may be the worlds first Fifth Wheel Trailer. 

39 minutes ago, espo said:

This is really interesting looking.  I have onlt seen a few old black & white photos of these and considering the time when it was built it seemed very advanced. This may be the worlds first Fifth Wheel Trailer. 

They were indeed the first. Mr. Curtiss was quite wealthy and built the first Aerocar for his own personal use with no intentions of ever offering them to the public. Those who did buy them paid about 10 times what an average American car cost at the same time. A new Chevy was about$ 800.00 while and aArocar was $ 8,000.00.These did not have a steel frame. They were built from wooden oak lumber. The side uprights were tensioned together with steel aircraft cables tightened with eyebolts. The fabric for the exterior was called Fabricoid and was then painted as an attempt at waterproofing. Interior furniture was commonly made from wicker to keep the weight as low as possible. Obviously a lot of those details were based on the experience he had with building aircraft in that pioneering era.

Edited by misterNNL
fat fingers