Model Cars Magazine Forum

Opinion on Revell ProModeler 69 Dodge Daytona kit

shoopdog

Hey guys, I have been waiting for the release of the Revell Dodge Daytona but I not sure if and when that's going to happen with current state of events. I have found a source on the line that has the Revell ProModeler kit of the Daytona and wondering if I should just get it instead.

Just checking on thoughts of anyone who has built this kit and the accuracy and quality of kit, or if I should hold out to see if the rerelease ever comes to market? Would it just be a reboxing of ProModeler kit? I see a AMT Daytona also available with the bright green box art.

Thanks

Revell 1969 Charger Daytona “Pro Modeler”  This is the kit I'm inquiring about.

Edited by shoopdog

Just buy the older versions. They'll be virtually the same as the future reissue. The photoetched parts from the Pro Modeler version were included in another previous reissue if you really must have those, too.

Edited by Casey

The AMT kit is a revised old (circa 1968) MPC kit that has elements to the body that just do not fit too well, along with the fact that since it was originally engineered in the late 60's, it just does not compare, detail-wise to the Revell kit. It's been revised over-and-over, first being the annual kits for 1968-1970, then revised to a NASCAR kit, back to sort of stock as the General Lee, and then as a Daytona / Charger 500, etc. My guess is that it's actually the most revised model tool in existence.    

The Revell kit in any form is a much better build than the AMT kit. You can't go wrong with any boxing of the Revell kit. The Pro Modeler kit comes with optional 'NASCAR replica" parts as Dave notes above, meaning they could either be used to build a street "tribute" NASCAR-styled car, or they could be used to get to get you started towards building a NASCAR replica. It's actually a neat set of parts, but you can't build an accurate NASCAR racer from the box by any stretch.

It's also been reboxed a few times without the Pro Modeler stuff- essentially offering a very nice 440-powered stock Daytona. Quality and accuracy of the stock version of Revell's Daytona are very high.  

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Just buy the older versions. They'll be virtually the same as the future reissue. The photoetched parts from the Pro Modeler version were included in another previous reissue if you really must have those, too.

The one with the yellow car on the box had the smaller roof(chopped)  The one with the red car has the corrected roof on it..Back when they first came out,if you sent them the price code they would replace all the non chrome parts..They then retooled the body to the one on the red box top..

Exactly, the Daytona doesn't have a vinyl top either, the 69 Charger do.

But all 69 Pro Modeler Chargers didn't have the wrong shape "chopped" body, Revell corrected it and cut a new tool for the body for the later run of the Pro Modeler '69 Charger so they have a new body with a better roofline and it's the same as in the non Pro Modeler issues.
I bought the first issue when it came out and when I read you could contact Revell for the corrected parts I did that and asked for all the corrected revised parts for this kit, but I didn't get all the unplated parts, in that case it would have been easier to send me a new kit.
No the things I got was a new corrected body, new corrected clear parts, a new slightly different decal sheet and new instructions if I remember correctly...it was 20 years ago you know. ;) 

You can spot the difference on the box, this is the first issue with the wrong shaped body, notice the R E V E L L - M O N O G R A M script under the Pro Modeler '69 Charger R/T 1:25 text.

revell-Pro-Modeler-1-25-1969-DODGE-CHARGER-R-T.jpg.a000fd5a432b35ff45e56c35e7b9e174.jpg

And this is the box with the revised corrected body where it says Pro Modeler By Revell-Monogram '69 Charger R/T 1:25, no R E V E L L - M O N O G R A M under it.

5ad80fef2ed11_goodpm69charger.JPG.e15bebe89867c1fbf2ffc625e0445fb3CorrectBody.JPG.2694a47c13dbddce6f217bd742fe387c.JPG

Edited by Force

I don't think they get as nice to build than either the Pro Modeler '69 Daytona, or the regular kit. You've all seen this here before, but this was my first (and so far only) attempt at one of these I built back in 2000.

image.png.baf1c1872e4d34f7d44385c47f4d591e.png

I did have a few nits with the kit though as presented. Even though there's a Hemi provided in the kit, it's the race one and you'll have to rob other kits to get the correct air cleaner and intake manifold. You'll need to also (if you're building the Hemi) add the torque boxes on the chassis floor in front of the leaf springs.

Even though mine has a working suspension, I used the same locating points for the shackles and I found that the rear wheels could just be a teeny scooch more centered in the rear wheelwells------------a complaint I remember hearing about in the box stock '69 Charger kits. Other than that, it builds up nicely, details are spot on, and the body's proportions are to my sight 100% acccurate. To me this is no comparison to the AMT one as that one is just flat out ancient, but was great for the period of time it came out.

4 hours ago, Force said:

Exactly, the Daytona doesn't have a vinyl top either, the 69 Charger do.

But all 69 Pro Modeler Chargers didn't have the wrong shape "chopped" body, Revell corrected it and cut a new tool for the body for the later run of the Pro Modeler '69 Charger so they have a new body with a better roofline and it's the same as in the non Pro Modeler issues.
I bought the first issue when it came out and when I read you could contact Revell for the corrected parts I did that and asked for all the corrected revised parts for this kit, but I didn't get all the unplated parts, in that case it would have been easier to send me a new kit.
No the things I got was a new corrected body, new corrected clear parts, a new slightly different decal sheet and new instructions if I remember correctly...it was 20 years ago you know. ;) 

You can spot the difference on the box, this is the first issue with the wrong shaped body, notice the R E V E L L - M O N O G R A M script under the Pro Modeler '69 Charger R/T 1:25 text.

revell-Pro-Modeler-1-25-1969-DODGE-CHARGER-R-T.jpg.a000fd5a432b35ff45e56c35e7b9e174.jpg

And this is the box with the revised corrected body where it says Pro Modeler By Revell-Monogram '69 Charger R/T 1:25, no R E V E L L - M O N O G R A M under it.

5ad80fef2ed11_goodpm69charger.JPG.e15bebe89867c1fbf2ffc625e0445fb3CorrectBody.JPG.2694a47c13dbddce6f217bd742fe387c.JPG

Yours is the first explanation I've ever seen in spotting the box art differences when the body change was made! B)

I've always thought that the box art hadn't changed, but that very subtle tip comes in handy for anyone not wanting to get stuck with a sealed "botched body" kit. I have the corrected kit one but have never built it. I can remember when this kit came out and the built up model was on the box sides. That chopped top stuck out to me like a sore thumb, and I wouldn't touch it till Revell changed the tooling which they did not long after.

Thanks again for the tip!

Well I can't really take credit for it, the last reply made by Casey Littmann in the linked thread above about the Pro Modeler '69 Charger kit addresses the issue, I read it there back in January when he wrote it and put it in my memory bank, so I got from him...but yes it's a good tip.
But as I said, the tooling for the body was fixed before the second run of the Pro Modeler kit and it's the one they still use for the '69 Charger.

If we go back to the Pro Modeler '69 Daytona, the intake manifold for the optional Hemi is right for a street car as all Street Hemi's from 1966 to 1971 had inline dual 4bbl carburetors, but none of the air cleaners in the kit are the right style for the Street Hemi, a correct one can be found in the Revell 67 Plymouth GTX street car kit.
On the other hand, the intake manifold for the optional Hemi is not correct for NASCAR as they were only allowed to use one carburetor in NASCAR competition at that time, so they had single 4bbl on a special intake manifold often called "bathtub" on the Hemi's,  the shape of the air cleaner is kind of correct for a NASCAR car tho'.
The "Bathtub" intake manifold they used in NASCAR is a large two part kind of a crossram intake with long runners under the bolted lid, but for one carburetor, the carb is mounted in a recess in the lid to get it low so everything would fit under the hood.
I have not seen a correct "bathtub" intake manifold in a kit or anywhere on the aftermarket but a rough bathtub shaped intake manifold can be found in the old MPC NASCAR Mopars with Hemi, some have casted this intake and I know The Modelhaus had it...the style is right but it's not really correct it lacks the right details.

Edited by Force

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

So, it is a straight re-issue of the pro modeler issue with nicer box art. These are pics of the old issue

Yes. I'm guessing the decal sheet will be changed somehow and Revell U.S.A. seems to be touting tampo printed tires, so maybe new redline tires, too?

RMX-5946-2.jpg

1969 was the last model year that redline tyres were used on factory-produced cars ( or , at least Chryslers )  , so their presence in the all-new-tool 1970 Charger is a bit of a , um , surprise . 

I've never built the Daytona --- never even seen its contents --- so this is the first that I'm hearing about the NASCAR (et al.) version . 

53 minutes ago, Casey said:

Out of curiosity, which tires did Revell-Monogram include to use when building the stock car version?

I'm working on the kit pictured in my first post at the top of the page and the stock car tires are Goodyear Blue Streak Stock Car Special's. Can't quite make out the size.

Back in the day I bought a case of 12 of the first release kit for $8.50 each when it hit the local Action collectable/model store a friend of mine had at the time. I think 1998 was the release of the first Pro Modeler 69 Daytona if I remember correctly.