Model Cars Magazine Forum

Opinion on Revell ProModeler 69 Dodge Daytona kit

shoopdog

Here is mine. It is the original pro modeler issue. I built it with a stock Hemi with a few stock parts donated from a 67 GTX kit. The original had tires that had the red lines preprinted as well but not as clean as the new ones in the 70 Charger. Those were nice and recently made it to my recently finished 69 Charger 500 build.

69 Daytona 1b.JPG

69 Daytona 1a.JPG

69 Daytona 1c.JPG

69 Daytona 1d.JPG

11 hours ago, Casey said:

Out of curiosity, which tires did Revell-Monogram include to use when building the stock car version?

Included in the old Pro Modeler issue of this kit were slicks that look sort of like old stock car tires, I think they were unique to this kit. They were way too skinny for NASCAR tires of the era- they were made to work with the stock suspension to give an optional building version. I think they were too "square" looking, as well. Some of the stock car pieces in this kit weren't bad, but some were necessarily compromises, to allow building a "Tribute" stock car styled hot rod using the stock body with stock wheelhouses, etc.

There was simply no way the kit designers could have made this a true "2 in 1" kit to be built either factory stock or NASCAR. NASCAR cars even by then had too many modifications to the bodywork and suspension, that to do an era-accurate NASCAR kit, they would have at a minimum have had to have tooled up an entirely new body and chassis/ suspension.   

9 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I want to add  that I wish Revell would include the stock parts to make an actual Hemi car so we don't have to rob other kits for parts and such. The air cleaner comes to mind as well as the intake manifold for the dual carbs etc.

Maybe that's in the cards for the reissue------I hope.

I don't see them doing that because the kit needs quite a few additional parts to build it as an accurate Hemi car, as I'm sure you're well aware _ a set of 15" wheels and tires, the aforementioned torque boxes ahead of the rear springs and larger-diameter exhaust pipes among them. 

Personally, I wish when Revell toooled this kit that they would have designed it so the second version was a Hemi car rather than that faux NASCAR thingie. I recall that when Revell announced this kit way back when, the promotional material showed a 1:1 Hemi Daytona with steel wheels and dog dish caps.

Edited by Allen Wrench

Here is my build of the original version - I combined the Pro Modeler kit with the Polar Lights Torino for the full roll cage, air cleaner housing, wheels and tires and used a resin "bathtub" intake. I was happily surprised by how easily the Torino parts fit. The kit does not build a NASCAR version at all, maybe for a shelf version but that is it. I am not sure exactly when I built it but these photos were uploaded in 2003.

2vkeN3Wx9Lj4.jpg

2vkeNeWx9Lj4.jpg

2vkeNcLx9Lj4.jpg

Robyn

Yup, I'll toss in with everyone else on the bespoke racing tires and the wonky rear axle centering. Front suspension/roll bar lowers may hang a bit low for some individual tastes.

Corrected P/M and all its derivatives are pretty gorgeous otherwise.  The new '70 kits will at least have your torque boxes if you want to go that way.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

• 2 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:30 AM, Robyn said:

Here is my build of the original version - I combined the Pro Modeler kit with the Polar Lights Torino for the full roll cage, air cleaner housing, wheels and tires and used a resin "bathtub" intake. I was happily surprised by how easily the Torino parts fit. The kit does not build a NASCAR version at all, maybe for a shelf version but that is it. I am not sure exactly when I built it but these photos were uploaded in 2003.

2vkeN3Wx9Lj4.jpg

2vkeNeWx9Lj4.jpg

2vkeNcLx9Lj4.jpg

Robyn

Marty Robbins

23 hours ago, Force said:

The K&K Insurance decals for the Daytona are available from several aftermarket decal makers so that's easy, the hard bit is to make all modifications to do the kit as the NASCAR car was, the to do list is long.

I had the original MPC kit back when it was new (around 73-74?) I don't recall how much if any they modified the body, but I do seem to recall a racing style interior and dual shocks. I suppose the Dukes of Hazzard changed all that.... 

13 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

I had the original MPC kit back when it was new (around 73-74?) I don't recall how much if any they modified the body, but I do seem to recall a racing style interior and dual shocks. I suppose the Dukes of Hazzard changed all that.... 

The first General Lee kit had much of the old NASCAR things such as the interor, roll cage and some other stuff, but not everything, later reissues the kit was changed more.
It's funny that the K&K Insurance #71 Daytona and the #22 Richard Brooks Daytona kit isn't the same, the #22 kit had the later generic NASCAR chassis as many of the other NASCAR kits had, the #71 kit had a stock type chassis as the other Chargers with some NASCAR stuff added.

The #22 Brooks Dytona kit
https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/mpc-instructions/nascar/mpc-richard-brooks-/

The #71 K&K Insurance Daytona kit
https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/mpc-instructions/1-sort/mpc-dodge-charger-d/

54 minutes ago, Force said:

The first General Lee kit had much of the old NASCAR things such as the interor, roll cage and some other stuff, but not everything, later reissues the kit was changed more.
It's funny that the K&K Insurance #71 Daytona and the #22 Richard Brooks Daytona kit isn't the same, the #22 kit had the later generic NASCAR chassis as many of the other NASCAR kits had, the #71 kit had a stock type chassis as the other Chargers with some NASCAR stuff added.

The #22 Brooks Dytona kit
https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/mpc-instructions/nascar/mpc-richard-brooks-/

The #71 K&K Insurance Daytona kit
https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/mpc-instructions/1-sort/mpc-dodge-charger-d/

Wow. So other than the body they are largely two different animals.  I only had the K&K and I was 13 or so. Loved the kit though.