Model Cars Magazine Forum

New wooden kit project . Whale boat Done !

Going to start this one today . This kit looks like a world better than I one I just finished . Will it turn out better ? I don’t know . I hope to take what I learned from the first one and improve on this one . This has far better instructions so I won’t be able to use that as an excuse . Sails are pre cut and sewn on this kit so that should help . Also included is a small container of parts which I forgot to include in pics . Let the fun begin ! 

8CED36C3-F6AB-4917-8E1B-22A392A993B8.jpeg

548EE37B-A35F-4C27-8358-AD4AB5459A1C.jpeg

64FFD666-B234-41EC-957B-923BA2B401AE.jpeg

Edited by cobraman
Update to finished

Was able to get some work done . Instructions are much better than the last kit but not without problems . Lots of different wood sticks of different sizes , thickness and length . Instructions may call out let’s say a number 10 but no sticks have numbers and no index to spell it out so some will be either trial and error or best guesstimate . 

98B355D7-A7FF-4215-B2F7-455F71621CC5.jpeg

28FAB13D-D93D-4BB7-A29A-1B0C0556CD92.jpeg

Hello Ray,  I like the way you're going about the wooden shipbuilding endeavor.  Your first kit let you get the feel of things,  now this one is looking like a real ship model kit.  Probably the wood offered in the kit is not any different from models that are a lot larger and complicated.  All in all,  a great way to get going.  Nice looking model too.

This looks like a fun kit to build. The subject is much less complicated than your last one was.  The scale is also larger with this boat than your ship was. The kit quality looks much better with this kit.

The first wood ship kits were hardly kits at all. Most early wood model kits were not much more than a basswood plank, some dowels, a few spools of thread, a piece of cloth along with a drawing or two and that was your kit. They have come along way with the laser cut wood pieces in the modern kits. Most of the old kits just printed the shape of the piece on a thin piece of wood and it was up to you to cut the piece out. I have an old kit of the Santa Maria that has nice wood but is almost more like a scratch build than a kit. Using  a small scroll or band saw is the only practical way to build one of these old kits. 

Made some progress on this kit. I will post photos later today or tomorrow. I learned one thing while working on this kit. A better kit does not make you a better builder. I had a lot of problems doing the planking on this one but I still find enjoyment in even the problems. The fact that I not once even thought of throwing it up against the wall proves I like building these things. Making errors for sure but I am hopeful this one will turn out better than the first.

I do have a planking tool and I soak the planking in rubbing alcohol as someone suggested and that helped a lot. As the planks curve up the hull they need to be tapered for a proper fit and lay down right. That's the part that gives me the biggest problem.

Looks good Ray.

Usually even the smaller boats (from kits) are double planked.  It's standard procedure after the 1st plank application, to putty and fill in the dents and voids that result from planking over the voids between the bulkheads.  Everyone does it, there is no other way to get the hull smooth enough otherwise.  No cheating involved, not to worry. 

Hope you don't mind me posting an example of 'extensive' filling.  Here a hull done recently,  all the white stuff is an acrylic based wood putty (dries in 20 min. and easy to clean tools).  The 2nd planking is otherwise visible, already in progress.  Man I apply the soft and easily applied stuff from the tube direct to the hull and spread it out as evenly as possible with a butter knife.  After drying, it sands easily and quick with 180 grit;

30020177jj.jpg

When the hull is smooth, the 2nd planking is a breeze.  No more dents to worry about.

Everything is going well with your boat and it looks good.

Michael

Edited by 10thumbs

Ray, the boat looks REAL! 

Forget the apprehension, forget the new techniques involved, it's a wooden hobby world now.  How good does real wood look, compared to plastic?  Indescribable. 

Now if the look of this boat doesn't overwhelm you, you must be numb.  :D

I love it!

Thank you for the kind words. Lots of fitting and sanding of some parts like the oars. Pretty much a small block of wood that needs to be trimmed and shaped. Messed up some on them but I do enjoy the work and figuring out how do achieve the effect I'm looking for.