Model Cars Magazine Forum

Don't chuck V8's out just yet....

1 hour ago, rel14 said:

Nothing will replace the sound of a ford 427 with 11-1 comp, w/headers  or a built 396 chevy,,  cubic inch and horsepower, got to love it,,,   screw fuel mileage with them,,,,,,,,

1 hour ago, Renegade said:

I'll take horsepower over fuel mileage any day.

Amen!!

With the current crop of V8s, you can have both!

Cylinder deactivation, direct injection, 7, 8, 9, & 10-speed transmissions, hybvrid assist.

You can actually get decent economy out of 400hp engines. They're not as efficient as a 4-cylinder, but they're pretty good.

And nothing comes close to the sound of a V8 with a decent exhaust system. Just listen to an SRT engine, or a Hemi, or the 5.L F150 engine with an exhaust. Or the BMW M5 engine from a few years ago, or a Porsche Cayenne.

:)

I've had a few in 30+ years of driving..the '80s vintage Ford 5.0, an '80s Mercedes 5.0, and a Cadillac Northstar.   My current Jeep has the 3.6 V6, down the road wouldn't mind having something w/ the modern Hemi, either a Challenger, Charger or a GC w/ the V8. 

Edited by Rob Hall

As much as I love the V8, some of the smaller engines are pretty fantastic.

The 3.6L Pentastar V6 that you find in a wide range of FCA cars is fantastic. GO try a new Grand Cherokee with the V6, and put it in sport mode. Over 300hp, and that Jeep needs nothing more. It's crazy fast, can tow, and gets great economy. It's equally good in the Challenger/Charger, and is really good in the Ram 1500.

The V6 in the base Mustang, NOT the EcoBoost, can be made pretty potent with only a few bolt on pieces.

And the VR6 in older VW, like my 93 Passat is a beast! Especially if you do what I did, and delete the AC, change out injectors, change the programming, add a freer flowing exhaust, and bolt on a big turbo! And the sound is incredible.

25 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

The 3.6L Pentastar V6 that you find in a wide range of FCA cars is fantastic. GO try a new Grand Cherokee with the V6, and put it in sport mode. Over 300hp, and that Jeep needs nothing more. It's crazy fast, can tow, and gets great economy. It's equally good in the Challenger/Charger, and is really good in the Ram 1500.

The V6 in the base Mustang, NOT the EcoBoost, can be made pretty potent with only a few bolt on pieces.

And the VR6 in older VW, like my 93 Passat is a beast! Especially if you do what I did, and delete the AC, change out injectors, change the programming, add a freer flowing exhaust, and bolt on a big turbo! And the sound is incredible.

My 200 has the 3.6l and the JS Body 200 and Avenger were the lightest cars you could get that engine in, I also discovered that the 3.6l with the factory flex fuel tune LOVES E85 as well as sounds dang good with a Flowmaster Super 10 muffer.  While this was an Illinois tagged 200 in this video, it's not mine, at one point the car had the Mopar Avenger/200 CIA, Flowmaster Super 10 muffler with the stock resonator in the middle, and an E85 tune specific to this car.

47 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

In my rotted little brain, the 3.7L Mustang was pretty potent stock. The magazines were reporting 1/4 mile times of 13.9 and they were capable of 30 mpg highway. They also sound awesome near redline. Not like a 428 CJ, but a shriek that shocked me the first time I wound one out. Too bad they don't make them any more. 

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

The 3.6L Pentastar V6 that you find in a wide range of FCA cars is fantastic. GO try a new Grand Cherokee with the V6, and put it in sport mode. Over 300hp, and that Jeep needs nothing more. It's crazy fast, can tow, and gets great economy. 

That's like my daily driver, moves quite well for a 5000lb SUV.  Been very happy with it. 

IMG_4319.JPG

Edited by Rob Hall

I have to agree with the lovers of all things V8. I have always owned primarily eight cylinder cars all my life, and most were the High Performance versions. In recent years there have been a few V-6's like a Grand Prix GTP with the Eaton super charger, and my wife's '14 Avenger RT with the 3.6 liter and a 6 speed auto. That little car will get with the program and sound good doing it. I sold my beloved '05 GTO with the LS 2 and 6 speed manual in 2014 because at this stage in my life getting in and out had become an issue since the neck just doesn't bend like it used to. That is when I inherited my wife's '10 Charger RT with AWD. The 5.7 Hemi engine has the cylinder deactivation system which I'm not that big of a fan of but it is very effective when it comes to fuel economy. The large and heavy sedan gets into the 20 mpg range during the summer months and around 17 - 18 Mpg during the winter.  This has to do with the fuel formulation changes during the year. You must know that at home I'm sometimes called "Lester Lead Foot"  and my usual open highway speeds are in the upper 70 MPH range so I'm not driving for mileage. This car has run over 25 MPG on long trips with the same driving style, so there is what I consider reasonable mileage to be had with a V8 and you will never be for want of power when you need it. Nothing sounds better than that Base Growl of a V8 and especially when it reaches the upper RPM range. Ya you could call me a member of the V8 camp.   

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:36 AM, Greg Myers said:

Ok all you V-8 guys, are there any kits with a 4.6 modular Ford engine for my  Revell 1997 Thunderbird, the kit only has a V-6 :wacko:?

When did Revell do a 1997 T-Bird? Or is this a conversion? I know of their 88-92 SCs, and the 2000-era two seaters. Are there others?

6 hours ago, webestang said:

I'll never give up my 88 5.0 Mustang, you just can't kill those engines and the exhaust note is like an opera. 

Totally agreed.............I have a 91 GT 5.0, that aside from a Bassani exhaust, is bone stock, with 180K on the clock. It just runs and runs, with everything original except exhaust, tires, brakes and a water pump. It is just a driver, not a show queen, and I drive it hard, seldom having my foot NOT buried in the throttle. It absolutely sings, especially when coming onto the power curve, which in these little gems is about the entire rev range. My wife can hear me coming home from about a mile away...............! LOVE IT!!!

1 hour ago, SSNJim said:

When did Revell do a 1997 T-Bird? Or is this a conversion? I know of their 88-92 SCs, and the 2000-era two seaters. Are there others?

Yep, that's it, close enough.:P Right wheels ( although only directional one way :wacko: ) The rest is close enough. 

Edited by Greg Myers