Model Cars Magazine Forum

Butch Hirst Cutlass

yellowsportwagon

Like it...................checked him out on Racing Reference website. Ran a total of 6 races between 1970 and 1971. Can't remember seeing that model Olds at the races. Very cool.

Where did you get a photo of this car to make the model??

Edited by Vietnam Vet67

1 hour ago, Vietnam Vet67 said:

Like it...................checked him out on Racing Reference website. Ran a total of 6 races between 1970 and 1971. Can't remember seeing that model Olds at the races. Very cool.

Where did you get a photo of this car to make the model??

There’s a couple floating around online here’s one from a different race.

640BF2D2-6C00-4218-9453-3EB867AD50F9.png

I wonder why the Olds and Buicks of that era didn't do well?

This is a fantastic build!  There is so much to like about it! 

I have a theory regarding why there weren't many Olds and Buicks back in this era; "familiarity".  (Is that a word)?  As I'm sure you already know, at that time there were many one-off race cars built by small race shops that were hopeful their race car build might find some success on the Nascar tracks.  But, I also think many of those small race car shops built cars that they had already seen reach the finish line successfully, and those cars were the more common Chevelles, Monte Carlos and Torinos built by the bigger race car shops.  It was pretty easy to see those "successful" cars up-close every Sunday, and also gather information when it comes to fabrication and building one of those more-popular brands; those race cars were easy to get familiar with.   

The 1:1 Olds and Buicks of the era would have been just-as-good of a platform and powerplant to start with, but they also would have required  more modification, creative fabrication and build-hours to get a race car on the track;  why not go with the familiar and more-easily-researched Chevys and Fords and start building a race car based off of those platforms.  Just my 2-cents...

Edited by '70 Grande

45 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

This is a fantastic build!  There is so much to like about it! 

I have a theory regarding why there weren't many Olds and Buicks back in this era; "familiarity".  (Is that a word)?  As I'm sure you already know, at that time there were many one-off race cars built by small race shops that were hopeful their race car build might find some success on the Nascar tracks.  But, I also think many of those small race car shops built cars that they had already seen reach the finish line successfully, and those cars were the more common Chevelles, Monte Carlos and Torinos built by the bigger race car shops.  It was pretty easy to see those "successful" cars up-close every Sunday, and also gather information when it comes to fabrication and building one of those more-popular brands; those race cars were easy to get familiar with.   

The 1:1 Olds and Buicks of the era would have been just-as-good of a platform and powerplant to start with, but they also would have required  more modification, creative fabrication and build-hours to get a race car on the track;  why not go with the familiar and more-easily-researched Chevys and Fords and start building a race car based off of those platforms.  Just my 2-cents...

Factory money backed Fords and Chrysler’s won almost everything. GM put virtually no money towards NASCAR in the sixties. Buick Oldsmobile and to an extent Pontiac engines were not good for long periods of high RPM usage. Their piling systems couldn’t take it.

• 8 months later...

Prolly shouldn't say I'm much into NASCAR, but I'm really impressed with this!  I appreciate the workmanship.  I'm also familiar with the kit.  I know it goes for every form of racing, but I'm amazed how real stock factory stuff they were then, zero for the cars now.

8 minutes ago, AMC ROB said:

I get that! Howzabout a 4-door '67 Olds? And to think people made a big deal that the NASCAR Taurus was a 4-door!

113_0311_30z-1967_oldsmobile_cutlass-front_side_view.jpg

4 door hardtop at that. I wonder if it was a factory built 4 spd 4 door hardtop Cutlass. Would be super rare and desirable now. They put a louvered 442 hood on it too.

Edited by yellowsportwagon
Spell