Model Cars Magazine Forum

JDM Legends

I really like the styling of those JDM cars. I think there are many U.S. cars that I'd like to see build in that style. Gremlins, Pacers, Mustang II's, Monzas, etc. Although here, I suppose we'd just call it pro-touring, yes?

I think I'll hit the stash and see what I can come up with.

Edited by Jantrix

And might I add that JDM is something that is slightly overused in the Japanese car community. Most of these cars are actually USDM cars and a very few are actually JDM

I am using some "JDM" parts on my car, but that does not make it a JDM car, just a JDM style car. 

I enjoyed the first program with the 240 Z. While I like their style so far I just hope the directors don't start having them throwing wrenches and start the imposable dead line stuff they like to do. They need to let these guys do what they do.  

Well, I will have to reserve judgment like Jesse.  It takes "reality" shows a while to find their style and substance and this is no exception.  I like to see the old Japanese cars getting some love.  I have owned 15 Japanese cars and remember some fondly(240Z, FX-16, CL and MR2) and others just served our family well.  I hope this show can find it's niche. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2018 at 9:10 PM, Daddyfink said:

And might I add that JDM is something that is slightly overused in the Japanese car community. Most of these cars are actually USDM cars and a very few are actually JDM

I am using some "JDM" parts on my car, but that does not make it a JDM car, just a JDM style car. 

I don't think I saw the 240Z episode, but two I did see featured Skylines and Bluebirds, and all the cars had right-hand drive. I'd never heard of a Nissan "SSS"; neat car. I am definitely a watcher now.

I have gotten to see each of the episodes so far and I still enjoy them. Next week they're doing a Datsun 510 and that is one I have always liked. Just finished the BRE 510 and have a tuner version waiting to build. I will see if any of the modifications look like something I would want on that build.

I do like that the shop owner/employees have yet to (and hopefully never will) make the show more about themselves than the vehicles. I watched the episode with the Skyline and SSS, and it wasn't bad at all. The owner is very low key, so I think most who watch other Velocity shows might find him and the others dull and slightly boring, but they do get into some nice details without getting to far into "ooooh, this has the rare 4/72-5/72 coil style lower radiator hose clamps" territory.

I do think their definition of "restored" is a bit loose, and refurbishing a few bolt on parts is a far cry from a complete restoration, but, semantics. :D

As a former '77 GT, '83 GT-S, and '85 GT-S Celica owner, I patiently await an episode dedicated to Swagons. ^_^

Currently in the middle of my Datsun 510 build. It incorporates USDM style, the BRE flares, and will have JDM touches, SSS Emblems, Mirrors and such. 

It is not a High Dollar build, but my wallet thinks otherwise, but I am making sure to use the best stuff I can get. 

RxAIpA.jpg

much like Jesse... my current garage situation looks like an episode of this show I haven't had time to watch... haha... but i will get around to it eventually.

Datsun 510 (dads)  and 240z (mine)  full rotisserie builds..   life long datsun family.. my dad raced them in the 70's , 80's and early 90's (hence all the trophies)

IMG_7660.JPG.9bc6d3c420fcd05d08ed69fa3ec4410e.JPGIMG_7658.thumb.JPG.947f1e0d4283d89158f5b075ec02f32c.JPG

We also have a similar shop truck situation...

IMG_7661.JPG.e69477fe77f9fcb69d229662e3869413.JPG

Edited by Impalow

Very cool, Eric! I always wanted a 620 King Cab, but they are getting a bit hard to find around these parts. 

The show is ok, but like i said, it is too much bolt on and clean up. No real building. And I know they have built cars from the ground up before, and that is what I would like to see. Not everything has to happen in one episode, they could do a season on building on an actual project and not a client car clean up. 

But then again, I have owned this 510 since 1995 and just got to getting it done! :lol:

Eric,

Love your Datsun's. What years?

6 minutes ago, Daddyfink said:

The show is ok, but like i said, it is too much bolt on and clean up. No real building. And I know they have built cars from the ground up before, and that is what I would like to see. Not everything has to happen in one episode, they could do a season on building on an actual project and not a client car clean up. 

Jesse,  completely agree.

Trevor

Edited by porschercr