Model Cars Magazine Forum

JDM Legends

1 hour ago, porschercr said:

Eric,

Love your Datsun's. What years?

Thanks Trevor! 

The Z is a 1973.. it has an LS2 putting down 380 at the rear wheels, full custom cage and all trick suspension.... We built it for a friend 10 years ago, last year he decided to part with it and I snatched it up... its very fun and terrifyingly fast.

The 510 is a 1972 and we are going for mild street toy...   flares, roll bar, L-series engine with sidedrafts... pretty standard hopped up 510.

The 620 truck is a 1976.. and a recent addition to the stable... lucky craigslist find.

We also have a 510 wagon and 4 door... mainly because my dad has always deemed it necessary to have one of each 510 body style... although we have never managed to get an sss coupe.

IMG_7663.JPG.44ceb5fa1435b92a77fdf4402b7c7dec.JPG

its a sickness..

19 hours ago, Impalow said:

Thanks Trevor! 

The Z is a 1973.. it has an LS2 putting down 380 at the rear wheels, full custom cage and all trick suspension.... We built it for a friend 10 years ago, last year he decided to part with it and I snatched it up... its very fun and terrifyingly fast.

The 510 is a 1972 and we are going for mild street toy...   flares, roll bar, L-series engine with sidedrafts... pretty standard hopped up 510.

The 620 truck is a 1976.. and a recent addition to the stable... lucky craigslist find.

We also have a 510 wagon and 4 door... mainly because my dad has always deemed it necessary to have one of each 510 body style... although we have never managed to get an sss coupe.

IMG_7663.JPG.44ceb5fa1435b92a77fdf4402b7c7dec.JPG

its a sickness..

I really like your wagon.

• 2 weeks later...

Season 1 finale was a full restoration of a real deal Skyline GT-R.  Can't find any photos or videos of the car in the show but here's another GT-R they did getting a shake down.

Edited by afx

2 hours ago, afx said:

Season 1 finale was a full restoration of a real deal Skyline GT-R.  Can't find any photos or videos of the car in the show but here's another GT-R they did getting a shake down.

Saw that last night. I have come to really like how this show is presented and hope it will return next season. I have always been impressed by how they go about their restorations and last night was I think the best. They focused of the body and paint and their guy is a real artist in the way he works the metal instead of loading Bondo everywhere.  

Last night was interesting.  They did a semi restoration of the Skyline GTR.  I say semi resortation because like a lot of these guys, they just had to add some updated parts to "make it better".  Nice Safari Gold car.  I would love to own it.  Just finished up bringing my MR2 Turbo back up to new spec.  Engine rebuild with as many OEM parts as I could find, upgraded parts where I couldn't get OEMs and Katzkin leather interior in the original style.  You can't tell the new  interior from the old except the leather isn't cracked and faded!

6 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Last night was interesting.  They did a semi restoration of the Skyline GTR.  I say semi resortation because like a lot of these guys, they just had to add some updated parts to "make it better".  Nice Safari Gold car.  I would love to own it.  Just finished up bringing my MR2 Turbo back up to new spec.  Engine rebuild with as many OEM parts as I could find, upgraded parts where I couldn't get OEMs and Katzkin leather interior in the original style.  You can't tell the new  interior from the old except the leather isn't cracked and faded!

Huh. I just watched that episode and it appeared to me that they did a nut and bolt restoration from mildly modified back to 100% original. They did mention that the car had several very rare optional parts, such as the rear end. They also gave the guy a loaner engine while his was being rebuilt. Where did they go off track and "make it better?" I missed that.

6 hours ago, TomZ said:

Huh. I just watched that episode and it appeared to me that they did a nut and bolt restoration from mildly modified back to 100% original. They did mention that the car had several very rare optional parts, such as the rear end. They also gave the guy a loaner engine while his was being rebuilt. Where did they go off track and "make it better?" I missed that.

You made me go back an rewatch the show to make sure what I thought happened, did.  The rear end was what I picked up on.  It was not optional but parts out of a year newer car.  They stated in the show that they put a 73 rear end in a 72 car because it had a better differential, disc brakes and sway bar than original.  The 72's didn't come that way.  Yes the car was 100% OEM parts, but to me a 100% original restoration means just that.  Restored to the way it came from the factory.  If sold as a restored car the value would be hurt somewhat by having the wrong rear end and buyers in that market would know the difference.   It is still a great car and I would love to own it.