Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two front ends and other large parts.

OK. I have a pic of the front and back of what looks to be a large Pontiac. 1960? I put the front of a Plymouth 1/25 scale so you could see the size. Do you know what they went to. And in the other picture are these larger parts that were in a bag by them self. Any idea in what they go to?

big pontiac grill.jpeg

big parts.jpeg

In the first picture you have a grill from a '57 Plymouth and a grill and rear bumper from a '59 Pontiac. I think in real life the Pontiac was that much bigger than the Plymouth. The '59odel was the first year of Pontiac's Wide Track suspension and all of the '59 GM models were wider than their '58 models. The second picture looks like a lot of small block Chevy parts. The gray intake manifold would be for a front mounted super Charger like a Potvin unit. The tow holed object would be the fuel injection for that unit. You have three Stromberg carbs with two small air cleaners for them. A couple of crank shaft pulleys. The beige cylinder may be part of a small fuel tank for nitro or something. You have what looks like four chrome fuel tank ends with mounts on them.  A pair of chromed early style small black Chevy racing headers and one OEM style cast iron exhaust manifold. A couple of distributors and a clutch/ brake pedal setup. Two small air cleaners for a four barrel carb. The two small wedges on top of a circle look very much like the tail lights for an Edsel that were an option on the old AMT '57 Ford kit.     Is this a test or something ?

Edited by espo

The sort-of-Pontiac parts are from an old Aurora kit called the Fireball Pontiac.  Aurora was trying to imitate an AMT kit but they did it in their own "style": the body was molded in sections that had to be assembled.  The proportions were way off, it looked stubby among other problems.  The decal sheet looked like a copy of an AMT '59 decal sheet.  

The large engine parts are from a Monogram 1/8 scale Chevy engine.  Before they did the big scale car kits, Monogram did a Chevy engine by itself, but with numerous choices of headers and intakes.  I believe at least some parts could be snapped in place and switched for other parts when desired.  I had one of those, I remember one or two of the forward cylinders being molded in clear plastic so the internal parts were visible.

There are a few 1/25 scale parts in that group too: those Ford script round things are end pieces for a custom gas tank (that tubular piece at the upper left goes between them), also there are a pair of custom taillights at the lower right.

47 minutes ago, espo said:

In the first picture you have a grill from a '57 Plymouth and a grill and rear bumper from a '59 Pontiac.

Actually the Plymouth grille is from a Johan 1959 Plymouth.

As far as the '59 Pontiac bumpers go, where ever they are from, they're way out of whack!

They're just "barely" reminiscent of a '59 Pontiac!

Steve