Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scale Motorsport Stuff

Pete J.

Got a box today from Scale Motorsport.  Since they are ceasing production, I decided that I needed to get  stuff for every kit that I had, that they made a set for.  Not that I need it, but once they are gone, I do not want to have to pay someone an arm and a leg for something I didn't get.  Get'em while you can.

SMS order.jpg

Edited by Pete J.

Ron, Scale Motorsport will be doing their final sell off at NNL East tomorrow.

They are not "going out of business".  Matthew is shutting down a thriving business for other pursuits.

He had offered the business for sale, there was interest, but nobody came through with the $$

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Ron, Scale Motorsport will be doing their final sell off at NNL East tomorrow.

They are not "going out of business".  Matthew is shutting down a thriving business for other pursuits.

He had offered the business for sale, there was interest, but nobody came through with the $$

Spot on!  I think it is great that Matthew had a great run and created a company that really elevated the aftermarket car parts business.  I know his prices were above what others did, but I always felt I got value for my dollar.  It was the best stuff.  Well engineered, good instructions, "Tamiya like" fit.  He set the bar high for his competition.  I don't see anyone stepping in to fill that slot soon.  

I am going to miss looking forward to his new products.  As I said, I bought it now because I didn't want to have to go looking for it later.  I still have 4 935 super detail sets and three 956 super kits to build.  I will be building with SMS for a long time to come. 

1 hour ago, 89AKurt said:

Looks more like an investment to me!  :o  I'm glad that I got all the super-detail parts for the 911 GT1 when I did.

Well, maybe.  I just spent a couple of hours putting the SMS into the kits they belong to and labeling them with stickers so I know which ones have it.  The way I see it, many years ago, I wanted to build a Tyrrell P34 in 1:12 scale.  Of course it was out of production and this was before the internet had become what it is today.  I found one at a specialty vendor and paid way the heck to much for it. I think it was well over $100.  Then of course  a couple of years later Tamiya reissued the kit and it was about $60.  It taught me a lesson that if I have the money, buy it when it is available.  That is why I have a garage full of kits and parts.  That is what this is all about, not stocking up as an investment hoping to gouge the heck out of someone in the future.  However, knowing that it is unlikely that any of this stuff will be available as reissues in the future, I can't imagine that it is going to get cheaper. 

On April 20, 2018 at 12:08 PM, Pete J. said:

...  It taught me a lesson that if I have the money, buy it when it is available.  ...  That is what this is all about, not stocking up as an investment hoping to gouge the heck out of someone in the future.  However, knowing that it is unlikely that any of this stuff will be available as reissues in the future, I can't imagine that it is going to get cheaper. 

You don't need to justify this to me!  :rolleyes:  I have many subjects that will never be available again.  And I'm waiting on two orders at the moment, hoping they will show up someday.  And I'm also wanting to get a Chevy pickup, preferably '69, but they are gold-plated at this time.  Any bets if I blow good money, the next week it will be re-popped?

• 1 month later...

I just had a chat with Matthew about Scale Motorsport and have some news.  It seems I incorrectly said the business was closing.  The business is definitely for sale and he is working very hard to see that it stays around under new owners.  He wants the Scale Motorsport traditions and name to continue.  They are still open for business and selling product.  I will continue to buy their product as I feel it is the best available and encourage others to do the same.   For the auto building fraternity, it is an important source of parts and I am hoping it stays around for a long time.  My apologies for any confusion my prior posts may have caused.