Model Cars Magazine Forum

TAT L-700 7-8 trailer done

A good April 19 to everyone.

This is my Truck-A-Thon 2018 build,the Dodge L-700 tanker truck

Starting with step one,the engine,the fit of these parts is poor but with sanding and trimming all went together well 

Next was the wheels and tires.I have only been at modeling a little over a year but i have never come across instructions as unclear is the one included in this kit

Parts # not on tree which i have encountered before but the illustrations are just as bad:o

Ok,enough rant and on to step two,the wheels and tires

This is the one that had me tied up

So off i go to do the flash clean up then to a Dawn soap bath before painting.

Next time wee'll see how the engin and wheel paint turns out.

Till then

Peace Out

L-700 model.JPG

L-700 model 2.JPG

Edited by Spruslayer
title

this kit is a challenge for a lot of people

but when you work normal and no rush than comes it good , also the trailer is trickey [ the tank ] so look good how to do

i think at the end there wil be a nice model on the bench

jacobus

Jacobus,how right you are.On to step three demonstrates exactly what you mean

The method of attaching the spindles to the front axle is borderline hilarious. 

I did a workaround that i hope will still allow to have the front wheels turn.In the pic you can see the added part to try and fix that.

Then to figure out how to get the wheels on the spindles to be square and parallel on the truck

And the step three shot waiting for deflashing and a bath

L-700step 3.JPG

L-700 axel.JPG

Edited by Spruslayer
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the motor minus the exhaust manifolds.

No distributor :angry: and in another thread about the scale of things,whats up with the belts and pulleys,

they look way to big to me.

I have lost the part that goes behind the pump at the top pulley so ill scratch one out after i find a distributor.

KIMG0121.JPG

KIMG0120.JPG

KIMG0119.JPG

Cool little kit,one of my favorites.The motor is a 361 dodge,it is part of the big block family,same as the 440 383 bunch every one loves,the distributor on that will go at the front f the motor,sticks out at a 45 degree angle on the right front corner.I always thought it would be cool to stuff a hemi in one of them. Harvey

9 hours ago, 37 caddy said:

Cool little kit,one of my favorites.The motor is a 361 dodge,it is part of the big block family,same as the 440 383 bunch every one loves,the distributor on that will go at the front f the motor,sticks out at a 45 degree angle on the right front corner.I always thought it would be cool to stuff a hemi in one of them. Harvey

I now think the part i lost,# 23 in the engine assembly, is the distributor?

In any case  im gonna find one to put there :wacko:

There should be warning about this kit

Im now working on the frame /suspension  and it looks like its gonna be doing a nose dive.Either the back is too high or the front too low.To the Google pics to see if the 1 to 1s  sat like that.

So far i've had to fix/repair or rebuild some part of each step with exception  of the wheels and tires.

Gonna be a minuet wile i figure out how level this thing out

Still love a challenge though:unsure:

OK,after a google search i found what appears to be factory shots of the truck and indeed it leans forward,but not much

I still think im gonna adjust the ride stance

Edited by Spruslayer
info

• Spruslayer changed the title to TAT L-700 5/10 update

The cab mounts are difficult to say the least.  If one is off the slightest amount the cab will not sit straight.  And that is the most egregious thing about this rig.  Try putting a section of tubing through the mounting pins so that they line up squarely to the frame.  Do the same for the mounting attachments on the cab.  Maybe use the same tubing to run through all 4 pieces so that everything matches.  Take your time and it will work out.  Here are a couple of rigs I have done.  the first one was a glue bomb that I rebuilt and added the body to.  The second one was done using a second generation kit and extending the frame.  

002.thumb.JPG.451ff96ab4fb016dc97655ae32dbd04d.JPG039.thumb.JPG.a76d7957a2c7d2a4d5b97f9755f9e9b5.JPG You are doing a good job on the chassis and engine.    

Edited by Chariots of Fire

• Spruslayer changed the title to TAT L-700 5/14 "the cab hinge dilemma" part 1

This is the effort to firm up the cab hinge on this Challenge series model :D

Thats what this has turned into for a rookie like me!

Some brass tubing from the HL  and away i went

The plan is to epoxie the brass tube to the hinge mounts

KIMG0137.JPG

KIMG0136.JPG

Edited by Spruslayer
spelling

I drove for a company that used an L700 for a yard mule.

I believe when they did the measurements for the kit they saw the truck without weight on the rear. (not under load)

The yard mule had a really steep rake when you were not under a trailer but was almost level with a loaded one! Hard to believe it would settle that much given the overloads that it had!

I love these little Dodge kits!B)

Some years back when I was still driving there was one that was hauling steel from a mill in Indiana that I would often see!

I don't know if it was a twin screw or just had a tag axle but he always was hauling a short flat with a single steel coil every time I saw it!

Edited by OldTrucker

11 hours ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Looks like you have solved the problem.  Once the frame and cab are aligned with the tubing in place you can always cut off the excess tubing in the middle.  

Im hoping the grill will hide the tube.It was a dust up getting the tubes square and parallel.

13 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

The yard mule had a really steep rake when you were not under a trailer but was almost level with a loaded one! Hard to believe it would settle that much given the overloads that it had!

I tried to leave some of the dive in it as i read in another thread that putting the truck in a level stance makes the trailer nose dive,till i do the trailer i wont know how it looks

My memorie that made me like this kit is as a child growing up in southern Indiana,there was a flower shop right across the street the would work me in the greenhouse during summer break.

Their delivery van was a dodge a-100 with the name of the shop painted in gold script

I still remember riding in that noisie thing,like riding in a steel cracker box with a slant six at your side

I think my issue is not starting the trailer at the same time as the truck .

Doing it that way would allow me to do mockups of them together and gauge how much to adjust the stance.

Or,maybe im just overthinkin this thing.

I gotta tell ya, this has been by far the most challenging model i have tried to build

After much trials a tribulations may i present 

My L-700 TAT Truck

Some parts i dident use such as the antenna,which when measured would be about 1.5  dia,way to big and a tool box that was to go on the outside frame just would not fit right so away it went.

Also had to scratch the cab side mounter running lights as i lost both of them :o

KIMG0146.JPG.376d8552a3ab2efcfcdbbff70edd7990.JPGKIMG0150.JPG.6b840dd8de957519b658383600866a1f.JPGKIMG0155.JPG.d9f90b096e003b26e8f0eefc5be7e146.JPGKIMG0148.thumb.JPG.c908a0b7dde524c98e957aa8fd19ec30.JPGKIMG0154.JPG.69bf1af8667cc6933d84667e4ebf73aa.JPGKIMG0152.JPG.33d9b0c0638ae02722a404f42c2f09d7.JPG