[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Recommended Posts

Got a question...yes, I've searched all over first...how does one go about shortening AMT's Chevy Fleetside pickup bed and frame? I'd love to replicate one that's running around here...stunning truck! I'm drawing a blank on how to do it...That's been happening alot to me lately! Lol! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't give you any real instructions, but you will have to section the bed and frame in front of and behind the wheel wells to get the correct wheelbase and look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's kinda what I was thinking...wasn't sure...wonder how much?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a few pics of how I did mine,,

IMG 1373

IMG 1372

As you can see, I cut across then down the suspension arms, across at the ends of the mufflers. Very little material was actually taken out and the suspension arms hide most of the cuts.

This is how I cut the bed sides. If you simply cut off the front end of the sides you will loose the pockets the front panel of the bed slips in.  IIRC, I took 12 mm out of the front and 6 mm from the rear.  [ approximately 1/2 in. in front and 1/4 in. in rear]

IMG 1374

When I cut the bed floor I added the front lip back on but simply cut the back off. I also moved the wheel wells in some so I could tuck some wider Pegasus tires in there.

IMG 1371

 , , and don't forget to finish up your seams on the inside of the box or it will be easily seen if you don't use a tonneau cover.

IMG 2304

Here's a link to my build album, might be of some help.

http://public.fotki.com/SteveMilberry/projects/68-chevy-shortbed-pickup/

Edited by Can-Con

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve...isn't the front of the bed shortened more  (making the wheelbase 15 inches less than the long bed)  than the rear (behind the wheels)?

Never mind I see you corrected it already...nice truck by the way:)

 

Edited by mike 51

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have a Deserter or Fall Guy truck you can use that bed to get the measurements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, mike 51 said:

Steve...isn't the front of the bed shortened more  (making the wheelbase 15 inches less than the long bed)  than the rear (behind the wheels)?

Never mind I see you corrected it already...nice truck by the way:)

 

Yea, I knew it didn't look "right" after I posted it so I re-checked my numbers and corrected it. 

BTW, the shortbox wheelbase was 12 inches shorter than the longbox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If by chance you don't want to cut up a bed and potentially ruin it, Bandit Resins offers a short bed resin kit. I think it runs about $15, but goes much faster if you don't want to cut up a bed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^^

The Bandit bed goes for $24 + shipping....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys are awesome!!! And Can-Con...your model is darn near exactly like the one I wanna replicate! That looks just like the one running around here!!! Freekin AWESOME!!! Thanks guys!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the one i did unfortunately it didnt save the pics via photobucket... But will get that fixed here in a bit...

I did keep the full side trim as well in mine

 

 

Edited by bandit1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can use the complete chassis from the AMT GMC stepside pickup, its already a shortbed so you don't have to cut it down. 

AMT-T-409-2.jpg.26c9e108b21a1549c542738ea932c48c.jpg

amt6081-1.png.5f9bf1969e57996c5f57fb3b33f561bf.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

You can use the complete chassis from the AMT GMC stepside pickup, its already a shortbed so you don't have to cut it down. 

AMT-T-409-2.jpg.26c9e108b21a1549c542738ea932c48c.jpg

amt6081-1.png.5f9bf1969e57996c5f57fb3b33f561bf.png

That kit needs to be reissued , period !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

That kit needs to be reissued , period !!

I agree, Round 2 should have it, so it should be an easy repop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

You can use the complete chassis from the AMT GMC stepside pickup, its already a shortbed so you don't have to cut it down. 

AMT-T-409-2.jpg.26c9e108b21a1549c542738ea932c48c.jpg

amt6081-1.png.5f9bf1969e57996c5f57fb3b33f561bf.png

or a lightly modified chassis from the 60-66 c10 kits would work to, I know the 60 c10 fleetside kit works almost perfect... the only thing to change is the floor board area under the cab and a few cross members carried over i think if i remember what i saw...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bandit1 said:

or a lightly modified chassis from the 60-66 c10 kits would work to, I know the 60 c10 fleetside kit works almost perfect... the only thing to change is the floor board area under the cab and a few cross members carried over i think if i remember what i saw...

Oh yeah, and it's better detailed too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It can't be reissued as is. Round2 went and used the cab for the '72 Chevy longbed when they reissued it along with a lot of other stuff from the kit. The grille is gone, it's now that awful one in the '72 with the out of round headlights.

They went and ruined the GMC stepside to make that '72 Chevy when they had a perfectly good long '72 Chevy with much better grille in the form of the MPC kit. Last seen, IIRC as the "Cooter's tow truck". All they needed to do was put the bed parts in the MPC kit and it's be the same as the one they ruined the GMC to make. 

Yes, I'm bitter. :angry::D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bandit1 said:

or a lightly modified chassis from the 60-66 c10 kits would work to, I know the 60 c10 fleetside kit works almost perfect... the only thing to change is the floor board area under the cab and a few cross members carried over i think if i remember what i saw...

Also, the '60 to about '62 [??] used torsion bar suspension front suspension. You need the coil spring suspension from the newer trucks to be accurate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Also, the '60 to about '62 [??] used torsion bar suspension front suspension. You need the coil spring suspension from the newer trucks to be accurate. 

AHHHH Almost forgot about that... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Can-Con said:

It can't be reissued as is. Round2 went and used the cab for the '72 Chevy longbed when they reissued it along with a lot of other stuff from the kit. The grille is gone, it's now that awful one in the '72 with the out of round headlights.

They went and ruined the GMC stepside to make that '72 Chevy when they had a perfectly good long '72 Chevy with much better grille in the form of the MPC kit. Last seen, IIRC as the "Cooter's tow truck". All they needed to do was put the bed parts in the MPC kit and it's be the same as the one they ruined the GMC to make. 

Yes, I'm bitter. :angry::D

IIRC , the last time that the AMT 1972 GMC Step-Side was issued was in c.1995 , right ? 

Neophyte question : AMT and MPC shared tooling with their 1967-1972 C/K Series pickups ? I thought that the AMT kit was  a separate entity from its , in essence , "crosstown rival" ?

The Cooter's Tow Truck was a c.1981 reissue of the old ----- SHOOT ! I just answered my own question ! I'd forgotten that AMT and MPC did share their 1967-1972 C/K tooling !

Does anyone make a good 1971-1972 GMC conversion for the c.1998 , ad seq. , "MPC" 1972 Cheyanne CST kit ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now