Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sorry, Not in my book

13 hours ago, Muncie said:

a swing and a miss

--  on the other hand, there have been a couple of similar cars built here on the forum with better proportions and better craftsmanship that looked good - they were home runs

Yeah, three strikes and he's out!!!

13 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Well, whoever built it didn't seem to feel it was necessary to actually learn to weld before sticking stuff together. That's a pretty good indicator of "no effort".

'Course, the world's full of people who can't tell this  image.jpeg.e0cb435805da20a3c09e6efe9be44980.jpeg from this  image.jpeg.d0684b99aac1624286efe740ef80eea9.jpeg

...or just don't care to do anything right if they can slap some (can't use the word here) together and get all attaboy-ed from it.

And to think that the American citizens were stupid enough to believe Ralph Nader and his crusade against the Corvair which unlike this "thing" was not unsafe at anyspeed...I would be too ashamed to let anyone see the uncraftsmanship in this deathtrap...?????

11 hours ago, geewhiz said:

And to think that the American citizens were stupid enough to believe Ralph Nader and his crusade against the Corvair which unlike this "thing" was not unsafe at anyspeed...I would be too ashamed to let anyone see the uncraftsmanship in this deathtrap...?????

Reminds me of this Chopped early Ford I saw at a local cruise night several years ago, badly boogered weld, gaps between welded panels were there should have been welds holding the roof on, and then there is the rust...........to quote Marty Pascel (Rob Schnieder in Down Periscope) "I feel I need a tetnus shot just from looking at it. The only thing holding her together, are the bird droppings sir."

4 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Reminds me of this Chopped early Ford I saw at a local cruise night several years ago, badly boogered weld, gaps between welded panels were there should have been welds holding the roof on, and then there is the rust...........to quote Marty Pascel (Rob Schnieder in Down Periscope) "I feel I need a tetnus shot just from looking at it. The only thing holding her together, are the bird droppings sir."

Yeah, that says it all...to each their own, I'm not a fan of such horrible craftsmanship.  Nothing there to be proud of.  I can appreciate a well done rat rod even if they're not my thing but really bad craftsmanship, no excuse for it...??⚰

On 4/21/2018 at 9:16 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Well, whoever built it didn't seem to feel it was necessary to actually learn to weld before sticking stuff together. That's a pretty good indicator of "no effort".

'Course, the world's full of people who can't tell this  image.jpeg.e0cb435805da20a3c09e6efe9be44980.jpeg from this  image.jpeg.d0684b99aac1624286efe740ef80eea9.jpeg

...or just don't care to do anything right if they can slap some (can't use the word here) together and get all attaboy-ed from it.

Ace, there was a local guy that built his "rat rod" as they like to refer to these monstrosities. His weld job on it were comparable to what you see in that picture.

Thing is he is a certified welder.  Welded in the Canadian pipeline back in the day as well as on others and was a welding instructor in the military and at a community college for a time!

Guess it is part of the trying to replicate what they think hot rodders did back in the day which is really not the same as what they are doing today.

30 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

Guess it is part of the trying to replicate what they think hot rodders did back in the day which is really not the same as what they are doing today.

Sorry, I don't buy it.

I've been welding for more than 50 years, and that bubble-gum-looking mess was no more acceptable back then than it is now.

And cars and aircraft that are older than I am don't have anything like that nasty mess either...unless they've been worked on by ignorant hacker morons.

Even a correct stick-weld looks like this after the slag is broken off:

Image result for good stick weld

25 minutes ago, wku88 said:

Nice stick weld. Bet it wasn't done with a Tombstone Lincoln!

You're probably right, but even those old guys will make fine looking welds if the base metal is properly prepared, you use the right rod, and you actually know how to weld. :D

And...I believe the old machines are vastly superior to the new versions of the "tombstone".

For anyone who's interested, here's a cool old video on the history of electric welding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzYKTMcmJo

Edited by Ace-Garageguy