Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Hot Rod Monster Machines

I tried the Challenger, it really lived up to its name.  I ended up selling both, scared to attempt the Showboat!  Great old Revell kits though, from that era of very detailed (read fiddly) kits.  I followed Bill's build of the Challenger I, outstanding work!

They are a great source of Pontiac and Buick engines.

SAM_5176.JPG

SAM_5180.JPG

1 hour ago, bbowser said:

I tried the Challenger, it really lived up to its name.  I ended up selling both, scared to attempt the Showboat!  Great old Revell kits though, from that era of very detailed (read fiddly) kits.  I followed Bill's build of the Challenger I, outstanding work!

They are a great source of Pontiac and Buick engines.

SAM_5176.JPG

SAM_5180.JPG

You were able to make THAT with it? Great job, it doesn't need the body, that would just hide all that hard work! Why did you sell it? Someone got a deal!

5 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

You were able to make THAT with it? Great job, it doesn't need the body, that would just hide all that hard work! Why did you sell it? Someone got a deal!

It did have the body, I just can't find the photos of it finished :rolleyes:.  The body didn't fit very well trying to cram all those mechanicals under it.

2 minutes ago, bbowser said:

It did have the body, I just can't find the photos of it finished :rolleyes:.  The body didn't fit very well trying to cram all those mechanicals under it.

Not needed, anyway. We know what it is even without the body. It was THAT unique! Great job.

I want to see someone build a 4-engine exhibition drag car with Pontiac engines out of a Big Deuce. Maybe 4 of those 1/6 scale diecast engines. The blown 427 SOHC looks pretty good.

Edited by LDO
Going even more nuts

I bought two Showboats at Ollie's a couple months ago for $8 apiece. Have no desire to build a Showboat, or anything based on it, but the kit looks like a parts mine. I should now be set for cool Buick rod/drag engines for life. 

One night back in January I was cruising eBay "Ending Soonest" and saw the Monster Machines set ending in about 1 minute.  No bids.  The starting bid was $14.99 so that's exactly what I bid.  No snipers were lurking in the bushes, so I won it for that bid plus a reasonable $9 shipping from Calif. to SC.  Like others in here, I already had individual kits of the Challenger I and Showboat.  But picking up a second one of each for less than $25, all in, was just too good to pass up.  Especially to get all those vintage Pontiac and Buick engines.

As for ideas, other than a parts bank:  I always thought the Challenger would make a great Batmobile "fictional prototype" of some kind.  And the Showboat might look interesting with a pair of Allison V-12s stuffed into it. 

Edited by Mike999
omission2

On 4/21/2018 at 8:19 AM, LDO said:

I want to see someone build a 4-engine exhibition drag car with Pontiac engines out of a Big Deuce. Maybe 4 of those 1/6 scale diecast engines. The blown 427 SOHC looks pretty good.

The Quad-Al has been done in 1/8 scale. Impressive craftsmanship, unfortunately ( to my eyes ) the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. Proportions are way off and it looks clumsy, and has only a passing resemblance to the real thing.  http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/hot-rods-and-customs/1952-quad-al-2.html

Quad Al-100_1022-jpg

Hmmm yeah. I would not have chosen that car. The real thing was silly. Not that there's anything wrong with multiple Allisons...or Merlins. A 1/8 scale pulling tractor with multiple aircraft V-12s would be really cool. Something that would be easier to get parts for would be an exhibition 4-engine '65 Corvette. If only it came with a big block.