Model Cars Magazine Forum

Iconic Chevy

Most Iconic Tri-Five Chevy  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the most Iconic Tri-Five Chevy to you ?

The most "iconic" is obviously the '57. Iconic to the point of being a clichie .

It's the "old car" that everyone who knows absolutely nothing about cars and couldn't even identify one if it ran over them wants .

I prefer the cleaner lines of the '55 myself.

Story about an iconic '57 Chevy.  When I was a kid, my cousin's boyfriend had the '57 Chevy everybody wanted:  Corvette engine and 4-speed with Hurst shifter, black tuck-and-roll interior, and deep shiny black paint.  I forget the brand, but "mag" wheels and fat tires, jacked up a little in the rear.  Beautiful car, and I always wondered what happened to it.

At a family gathering this week I found out, and almost wish I hadn't.  My cousin married that boyfriend and I asked about the '57 Chevy:  "My first cousin had a VW Bug, and he wanted to borrow my Chevy for a double date. About 3 in the morning, somebody knocked on my door.  A deputy sheriff was standing there, and asked if I owned a '57 Chevy.  Told him I did.  He handed me a carburetor, and said the rest of your car is down at Green's Junkyard.  Totalled."  Incredibly, none of the 4 people in the Chevy was hurt very badly.  Just bumps and bruises.  They hit a tree.

I remembered that my cousin had bought herself a new '69 Road Runner, and asked what happened to that car.  It's sitting in an outbuilding behind her house, with about 60K original miles on it.  Soon to be restored, though she said it doesn't need much restoring.  Not for sale, ever, at any price.  And probably not available for loaning out...

My favorite of all of them is the '56 210 2DS, but I like ALL the '55-57 two door sedans, two door wagons, sedan deliveries, Nomads, and '57 2 door hardtops (the '55 and '56 hardtops don't do anything for me, nor do any convertibles). 

Of the ones in the original post, my fave would be the 2LB '55. Gonna do a model of that sometime soon. 

While all three of the Tri-Fives are considered iconic I was disappointed that the question only showed '55s and '57s. This does seem the norm though as many seem to forget the '56. I have a personal attraction to the '56 as my family had one until my father thought he would rather have a '61 Falcon wagon, but that's another story all together. While I appreciate any of the three I still like the lines and what I think is a more refined appearance of the '56.

9 minutes ago, slusher said:

I honestly like both 55 and 57. I did like the 57 Chevy Return to Macon County with Nick Nolte and Don Johnson...

Goofy flame job. :blink: I liked the movie also.

I felt they did a terrible job marketing it though. I didn't go see it until many years later.

Return-to-Macon-County-57-Chevy.jpg

snapshot20120428140134_5.jpg

6 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Goofy flame job. :blink: I liked the movie also.

I felt they did a terrible job marketing it though. I didn't go see it until many years later.

Return-to-Macon-County-57-Chevy.jpg

snapshot20120428140134_5.jpg

Yeah, I really need to finish my model of that one. It is almost done. Just needs doorhandles, wipers and some details in the enginebay and I need to find a way to replicate the strange looking flamejob,