Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche Number One

afx

Wikipedia: The Porsche 356/1 was the first real Porsche car created by Ferdinand "Ferry" Porsche. This prototype car was a two-seater open roadster with a mid-mounted, air-cooled flat-4 engine of 1,131 cc displacement that produced 40 horsepower (30 kW). While the body was an original design, most of the mechanicals (including engine and suspension) were derived from the Volkswagen Beetle which Ferry's father, Ferdinand Porsche, had designed.

The aluminum roadster body of the 356/1 was designed by Porsche employee Erwin Komenda in April 1948 at Gmünd and completed only a month later. Smooth and low, the 356/1 set the pattern for later 356s with one fundamental difference; the engine of the production cars was moved behind the rear axle (to reduce costs and make room for two additional seats). The car was registered by the state of Carinthia (Kärnten) with the license plate K45-286 and made its maiden voyage on June 8, 1948.

I found this 1/24 scale diecast (Maisto) in a toy store several years ago, paid $3 IIRC.   They had two and I bought both.  I gave the other one to a resin caster in hopes I could convince them to cast it – no luck so far. :(  Did a little detailing to the model but not much more. 

The mid-engine design would not be used again by Porsche until the 914.

DSCN5377DSCN5382DSCN5379porsche no 1 gmundPorsche-Typ-356-Nr jpg NRc969f4b4269c73cc18f298f84bd24148number148-Porsche-356-Prototype-DV-08 PBC 01

Edited by afx

Very nice work! IMHO this is very much a "mainstream" model in terms of subject and scale and belongs here; I hope the mods don't banish it down to Diecast Ghetto where it won't get as many views or as much interest. I hope you'll be a pioneer/trendsetter in this. Fingers crossed and model on! B)

• 2 weeks later...