Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gulf Ford GT Color?

So I purchased the Polar Lights 2006 Ford GT on a whim today, and I would like to do it in the Gulf colors that are shown on the box.  Why?  Well, apparently I need more "painting stress" in my life.  Anyway, the instructions say to paint the car "light blue".  Is there a specific light blue to use, or will just about any light blue work?  The kit is actually molded in Baby Blue plastic.

Thanks for the help.

20180421_111335.jpg

Edited by Jim B

Well, it's not a real car anyway*, so paint it whatever light blue you want.  Several companies (MCW, Scalefinishes, Zero Paints, etc...) make the old 60's Gulf colors but the old blue was pretty pale compared to what's shown on the box.  

*there are some blue & orange tributes but they're not really Gulf-sponsored or licensed.  

Edited by Brett Barrow

I don't think any hobby paint out there comes close to the Gulf colors right out of the can or bottle.  

However...if you have an airbrush, the blue on this one is roughly 1 part Tamiya TS-23 blue to 10 parts TS-26 white over white primer.  I started with decanted TS-26 and started tinting it with TS-23 until it looked close based on Googled Heritage GT pics.

I haven't seen the box for this kit yet, but I believe there are pics of a built-up on it somewhere; if so this is the kit they used.

dy.JPG

If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, there is a paint in a spray can called Bonnet Blue that is from craft  paints section. It is made by one of the usual paint companies, forget which off the top of my head. It is an enamel, regular gloss paint that pretty nearly matches the Gulf Blue. For the orange, not too hard to match that one.

Paint is Krylon "Short Cuts" comes in a 3 ounce spray can, cheaper than Testor's IIRC. https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=sOCHYczH&id=F2AA55E5A1E8F9B12EFFFFDA234B662190F5A45E&thid=OIP.sOCHYczHb2Vebetk75NzbgHaHa&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fimg.hobbylobby.com%2fsys-master%2froot%2fh36%2fh4e%2fh00%2f8892945596446%2f464479[5].jpg&exph=350&expw=350&q=krylon+short+cuts+bottet+blue&simid=608006194130259761&selectedIndex=1&ajaxhist=0

Edited by Bill J

For rattle cans, Tamiya TS-23 Light Blue is probably the closest you'll get in Tamiya's line, and that might even be a bit too dark. Or....take the box or a pic of the colour you want to Walmart or Napa or something similar and do a match by eye. Since you dont have an airbrush I would use Tamiya's paints. Out of the can you can get really nice finishes without a lot of effort. 

Good luck.

15 hours ago, Jim B said:

Unfortunately, I do not have an airbrush; so it's rattle can or nothing.  Since it's a 2006 GT and not a 1966 GT40 I guess I can get close.

Jim, I'd suggest you pick up a simple Badger 250 set and a can of air to try out. It's a very simple setup and not much different than using a spraycan. But you will be able to use all those colors that don't come in a spraycan. They're only about 20 bucks and a can of air for around 10 bucks . 

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcR01WnUxx9SGsQKZbE_2sEISkCsOVJpz-6o5E1oxLYD4sPfmfmy4qRQEV4XIenTJUXT0NJGjkc&usqp=CAE

1 hour ago, oldnslow said:

I'd check with automotive paint suppliers and see if they offer spray touch up paint , some will mix and put it in an aerosol can for you .

You can get a custom mixed can of spray paint from any quality automotive jobber for about $25. Just have to provide them with a paint code.

On April 21, 2018 at 4:31 PM, Bill J said:

If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, there is a paint in a spray can called Bonnet Blue that is from craft  paints section. It is made by one of the usual paint companies, forget which off the top of my head. It is an enamel, regular gloss paint that pretty nearly matches the Gulf Blue. For the orange, not too hard to match that one.

Paint is Krylon "Short Cuts" comes in a 3 ounce spray can, cheaper than Testor's IIRC. https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=sOCHYczH&id=F2AA55E5A1E8F9B12EFFFFDA234B662190F5A45E&thid=OIP.sOCHYczHb2Vebetk75NzbgHaHa&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fimg.hobbylobby.com%2fsys-master%2froot%2fh36%2fh4e%2fh00%2f8892945596446%2f464479[5].jpg&exph=350&expw=350&q=krylon+short+cuts+bottet+blue&simid=608006194130259761&selectedIndex=1&ajaxhist=0

I use Krylon short cuts all the time over Tamiya primer, really good paint...

The original Gulf colours were old Triumph codes that John Wyer put on the original GT40s and Porsche 817s.  They were Marigold for the orange and Powder Blue for the light blue.

The Team Davidoff McLarens used a light blue pearl and a florescent orange.

Steve