Model Cars Magazine Forum

2K Clear

I've seen this term used many times on the forum with high approval results. I've done a search and came up with numerous brands. It's obvious 2K clear is a generic term for a type of clear. Am I wrong? Is there a preferred brand for modelers?

2K clear simply means it's a two-component system, the components being the clear itself, and a hardener / activator. There's often a reducer too, a "thinner", that helps to achieve spraying consistency.

2K clear is usually an acrylic urethane or polyurethane, and the hardener is isocyanate-based...so it's BAD to get in your lungs. RESPIRATOR MANDATORY, even if you have a booth that vents to the outdoors. GLOVES AND EYE AND SKIN PROTECTION HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

It typically sprays considerably thicker than clears developed specifically for models, and though I've used it extensively on real cars, I've never felt the need to go to so much trouble for a model.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy