Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Forecast Homes for 2001, with Walter Cronkite

There are things mentioned in the video that we embraced and things that we have resisted. Tract homes never went away though, they missed on that prediction.

What happened to the Habitat 67 building? Is it still there?

2 hours ago, Xingu said:

...What happened to the Habitat 67 building? Is it still there?

Still there:   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitat_67 

350px-Montreal_-_QC_-_Habitat67.jpg    

Somewhat similar ideas in high-density housing have been proposed...and built...using recycled shipping containers:

Image result for high density container housing    Image result for high density container housing

Image result for high density container housing

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

350px-Montreal_-_QC_-_Habitat67.jpg                                                                              

While I really like the look and idea behind this, I do not think I could live there. I like wide open spaces. I think they really thought this idea would take off, but it has been slow to happen. I know there are similar structures in Europe.

I'm living in a house that was built in the mid-1960s. Except for the computer, cable TV and microwave oven, anyone from the '60s could be time-teleported here and feel right at home (i.e., no "smart" appliances or internet-controlled anything). 

And that's just the way I like it. Have no plans to robot-ize anything. 

(Come to think of it, a modeler from the 1960s would feel pretty much right at home with my workbench, tools, and stash, too.) 

My house was built in 1967.  I'm in the process of doing some home automation and modernization--I can control the alarm system, thermostat, surveillance cameras, etc all from phone apps.  Next will probably be some of the Hue smart lights for some rooms.   Not sure if I will need an internet-connected toilet, stove, fridge, etc, though.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 22.4.2018 at 4:14 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Somewhat similar ideas in high-density housing have been proposed...and built...using recycled shipping containers:

Image result for high density container housing    Image result for high density container housing

Image result for high density container housing

That looks like the so-called "architect-drawn" housing that is built around here all of the time now. Each procjet usually has a goofy name that always ends with park. No park anywhere near them but they are supposed to be "green" (meaning that you spend less electricty by living there).