Model Cars Magazine Forum

Boxes for 1/25 collection

Hi from Detroit!   Years ago I inherited my dad's 1:25 car collection which, along with my own diecast model collection - have been safely stored and displayed  in custom built-in cases in my Mom's house for 30-50 years now.  I will need to begin boxing all of these models individually...first the 1:25 (Johann etc) Promo cars.  I'm just venturing into the online universe to try and find out how/where to find storage boxes in order to move the collection to another location.  Ideally I'd like some inexpensive cardboard boxes that are close to the original-size boxes most of them were sold in.  Unfortunately only a relatively small # of the original boxes were saved.   

Similarly I'll have the same task for the diecasts and miscellaneous toys/accessories in that smaller size range.  

Sorry if this isn't the right category to post this question in but it seemed to be the one that best matched it.  I'd welcome any of your advice on how to source boxes...and whether there is any other popular exchange to discuss this particular issue.  

THANKS!

MIKE

Thanks Tom.  I'm sure they are great boxes.  

I was considering also, something like sports card boxes or otherwise trying to 'repurpose' boxes of a similar size if that route could be more economical.   I've seen some comments about 500-count sports card storage boxes.  Just considering options.  And as far as the smaller-scale diecasts, that may be the more difficult box size IF i am going to store them.

Sorry for elementary questions already long-answered but seeing as how these will likely just be going from one house to another - to be placed in a different display case, I may just carefully move them in bulk.  Then comes the question of display case ideas...both for the large scale and diecasts.  May just wind up custom building something though.  THANKS!

I've found the Spotlight Hobbies boxes to be a bit flimsy.   For sturdy boxes to store kits and promos that don't have their original boxes, I use the 550 count sports card storage boxes.  Very sturdy. 

Edited by Rob Hall

i bought 100 of these in prep of a cross country move

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-8x4x2-White-Corrugated-Shipping-Mailer-Packing-Box-Boxes/290784344841?hash=item43b418fb09:g:jxYAAOSwjL5ZME~Z

edit, just double ck'd. The ones I bought are 11 x 4 x 3 . best i remember They were under $100 for  100 boxes , delivered  ( bought them last year )

Edited by gtx6970

No matter what boxes you use for storing your collection be sure to store those boxes in low heat and humidity conditions. I have some boxes that were stored in an attic for 50 years(yes I said 50 years) and the kit boxes became brittle,the decals and any tissue paper simply crumbled when touched. Just a word of caution might save a lot of grief later.

• 1 month later...

Hi - got a big collection of diecasts  - mine , and 1:25 models that were my dads - promo cars - all scales but mostly 1/25 - - and i gotta get these out of some deep-shelved basement display cases of my parents house,  and into my place to display or store.  I've got a case for the smaller stuff but think i need to put the 1/25 scale cars in boxes at least til i figure out what i wanna do with em.  Maybe got 100 or more of em -- (late 40s thru early 80s promos mostly).  Want to find an inexpensive way to box each til i figure out how i wanna display em in my house.  Any ideas for protective boxes i could put each in -  or otherwise some idea of how to display a hundred of em in a relatively small space?   Thanks for any ideas,

Mike in Detroit

Mike.... Your lucky to have them...I am too for my dads old ones even though they need parts..etc.   Boxes like the others said are good choices just remember they will have weight if one would stack them up on each other so you wont cause any damage to them.  I use boxes and I have a display cabinet to protect them I use...one from an old store...it works very well.   Even at that we had a tornado here in 2011 and some got lost and others damaged sadly...one has to protect them as much as possible.  I even use old kit boxes for storage plus I like the old boxes and their artwork....there are many good choices for storage just make sure there not in a wet...damp or hot environment so there safe. 

40 minutes ago, oldnslow said:

Walmart , Fred's , Big Lots all have small storage boxes with snap on lids , Sterlite brand originally for shoes , for $1 . I've bought a lot of them and they work great .

If your goal is to store them until you figure out how to display them, then Robert's suggestion of using the Sterlite storage boxes is spot on. I picked some up yesterday at my Big Lots for 94 cents a piece, with the lid! I use them to store my models that I am working on so parts and pieces don't get lost or dusty.

As far as a display case goes, depending on the room you have available there are many options. There are used commercial displays available at auctions, going out of business sales and places that specialize in business furniture. There is also a company called Carney Plastics that makes model display cases in different scales that can be wall mounted. While not cheap, they are nice and IIRC can be custom configured to fit various models and die cast.

Best of luck in your search, show us the collection when you have it ready.

On 4/23/2018 at 8:43 PM, misterNNL said:

No matter what boxes you use for storing your collection be sure to store those boxes in low heat and humidity conditions. I have some boxes that were stored in an attic for 50 years(yes I said 50 years) and the kit boxes became brittle,the decals and any tissue paper simply crumbled when touched. Just a word of caution might save a lot of grief later.

Yes I agree as we've lived in our present home over 20 years and never store anything in the attic as the summer heat can be brutal. When I worked in construction I sometimes had to work in attic spaces in the summer and one would be dripping wet from sweat and humidity in no time at all.

You can also use cardboard boxes like the ones used to store promo models. Either get them from Spotlight Hobbies, or use ones meant to store baseball cards.

Spotlight Hobby boxes:

http://www.spotlighthobbies.com/one-dozen--12--spotlight-hobbies-model-car-boxes.html

Baseball card boxes are available is different length. Here is one example:

https://www.blowoutcards.com/supplies/550-count-cardboard-storage-box-50ct-bundle.html