Model Cars Magazine Forum

Very weird Mustang/pickup

NYLIBUD

Why not? It's his car, he can do whatever he wants to with it. I think it's kind of cool. I think it would be cooler as a street car, but that's just my opinion.

I would love to find a '60s or '70s Cadillac that has been turned into a pickup or station wagon.

11 hours ago, LDO said:

Why not? It's his car, he can do whatever he wants to with it. I think it's kind of cool. I think it would be cooler as a street car, but that's just my opinion.

I would love to find a '60s or '70s Cadillac that has been turned into a pickup or station wagon.

They are out there. They most commonly are called "Flower Cars" and can be seen at most mafia figure funerals!LOL

At least in the photo, the craftsmanship appears to be good.

The unnecessary kinks in the upper structure that connects the top of the rollover hoop (at the roof area) to the rest of the frame shows a lack of understanding of load paths, however.

That frame would be measurably more rigid...and maximum rigidity is what you want in ANY race-car frame...if those upper tubes were straight.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the Fox Body Mustang is a shared chassis with a MULTITUDE of other Ford, Lincoln and Mercury (as well as other makes world wide) there may not have been much to change to make the Ute.  Infact, there was probably an Aussie contribution. 

I have always wanted to build a SVO or Capri wagon or "Ranchero" using a Ford LTD II (Fairmont) wagon.  Or super base model mustang with a bench seat and column shift using parts from a Fairmont or Zephyr and the square front end bolted to a Mustang coupe body.