Model Cars Magazine Forum

Autoquiz 371 - Finished

I was overwhelmed by the huge response on ths car.  Since I I'm doing this quiz I never have so many poeple with the correct answer

otherunicorn

landman

DonW

wku88

sjordan2

matthijsgrit

Ace-Garageguy

ChrisR

Earl Marischal

Frank

warra48

Pete J.

Matt Bacon

Roger U

dw1603

Red 318

Thom

Bainford

Zil111V

Congratulation to all of you

A very unfortunate time for British motoring.  British building techniques of this era were referred to as "Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a grease pencil and cut it with an ax".  The cars were really attractive but just horrible to own.  I knew a lot of people of that era who replaced the entire drivetrain in their TR-6s with 240Z drivetrains.  For those who liked their Triumphs it was cheaper than paying the repair bills to keep the cars on the road. 

8 hours ago, Pete J. said:

A very unfortunate time for British motoring.  British building techniques of this era were referred to as "Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a grease pencil and cut it with an ax".  The cars were really attractive but just horrible to own.  I knew a lot of people of that era who replaced the entire drivetrain in their TR-6s with 240Z drivetrains.  For those who liked their Triumphs it was cheaper than paying the repair bills to keep the cars on the road. 

4 hours ago, Earl Marischal said:

And Rover V8s found their way into Stags quite frequently too...

steve

But they were lovely cars to drive. I worked on them when they were new, and naturally "road-tested" them as frequently as possible. When that little V8 ran, it was one of the sweetest sounding engines on the planet. Other than timing chains that stretched, junk distributors, emissions carbs that were finicky, poorly designed cylinder-head retention fastening, inadequate cooling for the North American market (including a not-great jackshaft-driven water pump design that was also located UNDER the intake manifold), steering racks that leaked, and window regulator mechanisms that failed early (and allowed the operating arm to cut an arc in the window), they really weren't bad cars. ;)

I built several over the years with smallblock Chebby engines (the strongest runner had a modified 365-horse 327...had to go to the cast wheels after it pulled spokes out of the rear wire-wheel hubs), and one with a Ford 302. The wheel bolt pattern, by the way, is identical to the 240Z.

A handful of other people did similar swaps, but in typical hacker style, almost invariably cut a hole in the hood for carb clearance. For mine, I notched the frame rails (it is a unibody, but it can be done IF done correctly) and built custom headers that allowed the engine to sit low in the chassis...no hole in the hood.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy